Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Master failure in master-local setup

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Master failure in master-local setup

Posted Sep 05, 2017 10:14 AM

Hi,

i'm verifying what solutions are available when for example, in a master - local setup, happens if the master dies?

Suppose the master - local setup has centralized licenses.

Could not really find a doc explaining what needs to happen in such a setup to repair the config...  I believe :

1. replace controller

2. stage new controller with basic ip connectivity

3. access controller via http, up- or downgrade arubaos software version

4. import and restore flash backup

5. reboot new controller

Would this be sufficiant?  Or do i still need to do something regarding the licenses?

• 2.  RE: Master failure in master-local setup

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 05, 2017 11:09 AM

Are you using the local to back up the master or for additional capacity?

• 3.  RE: Master failure in master-local setup

Posted Sep 05, 2017 11:14 AM

It's not a master-master setup if you mean this.  The local is not really meant for 'additional' capacity.  In practice it hosts all our ap's.  That way a device can roam between different ap's without the need to implement something special.  The master is in that case a failover controller.  

• 4.  RE: Master failure in master-local setup

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 05, 2017 11:53 AM

If the local is only to backup the full capacity of the master, you should configure master redundancy and make the local a backup master instead.  If anything happens to the master in that configuration, the backup master will become the master and will also become the centralized licensing master.

You would have a VRRP between controllers, the master would terminate all APs and handle centralized licensing.  If it fails, the backup master would take over all functions seamlessly.