Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Master redundancy failover problem with AP207

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Master redundancy failover problem with AP207

Posted Jun 20, 2018 05:36 AM

Hello,

I currently have a concern regarding a customer's infrastructure. The infrastructure is in version 6.5.3.6 and configured as redundancy master. There are two types of terminals: AP207 and AP365. There is only one AP Group.

During failover, the standby switch becomes master. But only AP365s change controllers. The AP207 remain started (I can ping them), but they never switch to standby. As soon as I reconnect the master, they appear immediately.

I have configured an internal DHCP server in the master controller, but since the APs don't restart I don't see why this prevents the APs from switching controllers.

In my AP group, in the "LMS IP" field I have specified my VRRP address. In addition, in each terminal I have configured the VRRP address as the controller address.

I opened a ticket, but it's not moving. I'm really thinking about a bug with the AP207 and this version. So I turn to you to see if you have any ideas about this problem and if this problem has already happened to you?

Thank you in advance for your help and your answers.

Sincerely,

• 2.  RE: Master redundancy failover problem with AP207

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jun 20, 2018 06:07 AM

Hey, a couple of items I would check in the first instance.

- What do you see in the logs of the standby controller? Do you see any errors?

- Do you see any connection attempts from the AP in the #show datapath session | include [AP IP ADDRESS]

- Do you see any Flags in the #show ap database?

- Is there sufficient licenses/centralized licensing enable?

- Do you have the corresponding DHCP on the Standby?

• 3.  RE: Master redundancy failover problem with AP207

Posted Jun 20, 2018 06:26 AM

Hi,

Thank you very much for your answer.

- What do you see in the logs of the standby controller? Do you see any errors?

Concerning the logs, when we checked with the TAC, there was nothing, as if the AP207 weren't even trying to be attached to the standby... No mistakes... On the other hand, it is clear that during failover, the standby becomes the master and that the AP365s are correctly connected.

- Do you see any connection attempts from the AP in the #show datapath session | include [AP IP ADDRESS]

I'm not at my client's house right now, normally tomorrow I could provide that information.

- Do you see any Flags in the #show ap database?

The only flag found on the terminals is "f" : No Spectrum FFT support

- Is there sufficient licenses/centralized licensing enable?

Yes we have 50 additional licenses, and centralization is enabled. At the beginning of my investigations, I thought that was the problem. So I logged on to the standby during the failover, and I could see that all the licenses were switching correctly.

- Do you have the corresponding DHCP on the Standby?

For the moment, the DHCP server is only on the master, because the range that has been reserved for me for addressing the terminals is /24 and I have 192 APs installed. I was told that I could not set the same IP address range on both controllers.

Thank you so much for your help.

• 4.  RE: Master redundancy failover problem with AP207

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jun 20, 2018 06:42 AM

That is odd! Can you ping the standby controller from the AP? Have you been able to attach a console cable to an output and view any output there?
    I assume CPSEC is all correct on the standby controller too?

• 5.  RE: Master redundancy failover problem with AP207

Posted Jun 20, 2018 08:54 AM

I don't own the new console cable for the AP207, so I couldn't see what was happening at the terminal. However, I can ping them from the standby.
    Everything is fine with CPSEC, it's one of the first things the technician in charge of my case has checked.