Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Max Client Associations

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  Max Client Associations

Posted Apr 21, 2017 10:43 AM

I am seeing some strange behavior with respect to the limitation on the SSID profile of Max Client Associations. I currently have it set to the default value of 64 but in some cases, I am seeing far more than that on a single radio. I do see logs pointing to what I believe are association failures due to this default limit but it doesn't seem to be across the board. 

Log: Assoc failure: a4:b8:05:8a:bd:4a: AP 10.50.88.167-00:24:6c:33:e3:cb-lew-103 Reason AP is resource constrained-Max Clients Associated.

Attached an imaged grabbed from AMP showing an instance where there are more associations than should be allowed. I did a search for the same log message from above for this AP and found nothing..

MaxAssociations-20170419-AMP.PNG

Any help in understanding this would be great. I know in some cases I will need to up that Max Association value but I need to know that the system is abiding by it in the first place..

• 2.  RE: Max Client Associations

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Apr 22, 2017 06:38 AM

If you run the below command it will confirm if the AP is enforcing the 64 client limit. You'll need to run this at the time you believe the limit is being reached.

#show ap association ap-name AP-xxxxxx

It is possible AMP is seeing a greater number of clients due to stagnate clients still being in the association table due to the user idle timeout value and the AMP polling period.

• 3.  RE: Max Client Associations

Posted Apr 25, 2017 11:06 AM

I will give that a try. I set up an AMP alert to let me know when an AP hits a high level of client associations. One question though, what am I looking for?

-------------------

Num Clients:80
    Total num of dual-band capable clients:77
    Total num of dual-band capable clients in 2.4G band:12
    Total num of dual-band capable clients in 5G band:65
    Total num of single-band only clients:3

-------------------

This indicates that there are over 64 clients on the 5G band but it could be multiple SSIDs.. 

• 4.  RE: Max Client Associations

Posted Apr 26, 2017 12:49 PM

I was able to find an instance where it appeared that the Max Associations policy was not being enforced.

sac-154_20170426.PNG

Num Clients:133
    Total num of dual-band capable clients:126
    Total num of dual-band capable clients in 2.4G band:56
    Total num of dual-band capable clients in 5G band:70
    Total num of single-band only clients:6

• 5.  RE: Max Client Associations

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 26, 2017 12:51 PM

Please open a TAC case in parallel so that they can review your configuration.

• 6.  RE: Max Client Associations

Posted Apr 27, 2017 10:36 AM

I have done that and will pass along any info I get from it.

• 7.  RE: Max Client Associations

Posted Apr 30, 2017 09:43 PM

Hi Robert,

Please share the firmware version running on the controller.

• 8.  RE: Max Client Associations

Posted May 01, 2017 12:52 PM

6.4.4.9_55980

• 9.  RE: Max Client Associations

Posted May 03, 2017 05:29 AM

Hi Robert,

In case the no of active associations are less than 64 (per radio) & still the clients are getting disconnected due to the reason "AP is resource constrained" then please check the output for

"show ap remote debug association ap-name <name of AP>

If the no of entries listed in above output are higher than no of clients associated to AP (show ap association ap-name <name of ap>), then this could be related to stale entries on the AP.

This got addressed in newer releases.