Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Max Number of User Roles

This thread has been viewed 20 times
  • 1.  Max Number of User Roles

MVP
    Posted Nov 06, 2017 12:48 PM

Good afternoon all,

Hopefully easy questions:

1. Is there a limit to the number of user-roles that can be configured in an Aruba Controller?

2. What is the limit?

I'm doing network segmentation with a client and we want to setup ACLs on user-roles for each device type. I'm worried we will run into a limit with the large variety of devices they have.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Max Number of User Roles
    Best Answer

MVP
    Posted Nov 06, 2017 03:43 PM

Spoke with Aruba TAC regarding this question, and was told that there is NO limit to the number of user roles that can be created in the Aruba Controller. This is in regards to a 7210 controller running 6.4.4.16 code.

Can anyone confirm this, I need to be very certain and remember running into issues creating user roles in the past, but that was older model controllers and versions.

• 3.  RE: Max Number of User Roles

MVP
    Posted Nov 06, 2017 04:00 PM

There is a fixed ace limit that limits the acl entries.

If not creating new ACLs, I guess there us no user role limit.

• 4.  RE: Max Number of User Roles

MVP
    Posted Nov 06, 2017 04:02 PM

What is the ACL limit? We are creating unique ACLs per device type, but I could combine some if needed into a single ACL with multiple entries.

• 5.  RE: Max Number of User Roles

MVP
    Posted Nov 06, 2017 04:09 PM

@mharing wrote:

What is the ACL limit? We are creating unique ACLs per device type, but I could combine some if needed into a single ACL with multiple entries.

It's complicated but the ACLs use ACE entries and there is a limit.

See http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/ACE-entries-count-on-the-Aruba-controller/ta-p/241947

• 6.  RE: Max Number of User Roles

• 7.  RE: Max Number of User Roles

MVP
    Posted Nov 06, 2017 04:14 PM

Well that's not as cut and dry as I was hoping, but at least I think I understand for the most part.

Thanks for the help.