Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Memory Upgrade MC 3200 / ArubaOS 6.2 // memory test commands after upgrade failed memory ...

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Memory Upgrade MC 3200 / ArubaOS 6.2 // memory test commands after upgrade failed memory ...

Posted Oct 26, 2012 03:05 AM

Hi,

received some demo unit MC3200 back from one of our customers and it seems the memory fails on boot , just opened the case and put some 1GB own memory with same speed (pc2-5300) into the case and voila it boots . but i found this info in the Top10 tips from TAC from vegas conf :

Aruba 3200
    – The 3200 is getting low on free memory due to ever
    expanding feature set of ArubaOS.
    – Aruba has released an “XM” (extra memory) version of the
    3200 also a field kit (3200-MEM-UG) where you can upgrade
    the memory yourself
    • No you can’t use your own memory from local PC shop !
    – A long running or heavily utilized 3200 controller may need to
    be rebooted to ensure there is enough free memory for the
    upgrade
    – Non upgraded 3200 will not be supported for ArubaOS 6.2

so whats right whats wrong, while it works with some kingston 1GB ram with same speed i would like to know whats the difference on the "expensive" 3200-MEM-UG module , for sure this is also some RAM from usual manufacturer.

while this is a demo unit , i would like to fix this quick/n/dirty instead of hassle-RMA only cause of the RAM for this particular MC3200.

anyone upgraded once his 3200 controller , while only a sort of quick-test is started , how i can start some extended memory test for test this particular ram ? for the interested guys here are the logs of the failed RAM :

[quote]

CPBoot 1.2.0.0 (build 20527)
    Built: 2009-01-20 at 18:55:40
    DRAM:  Operating at 533 MHz

Error: Unable to locate a working CMD and/or SLV_CMD strobe configuration for th
    is channel.
    DRAM:  Channel 0: 512 MB
    DRAM:  Channel 2: 0 MB
    DRAM:  Total = 512 MB

mtest_quick error: at:7ffffffd expect:1 , read:ff
    mtest_quick error: at:7ffffffe expect:2 , read:ff
    mtest_quick error: at:80000000 expect:4 , read:ff
    mtest_quick error: at:80000004 expect:8 , read:ff
    mtest_quick error: at:8000000c expect:10 , read:ff
    mtest_quick error: at:8000fffc expect:10000 , read:ffffffff
    mtest_quick error: at:8001fffc expect:20000 , read:ffffffff
    mtest_quick error: at:8003fffc expect:40000 , read:ffffffff
    mtest_quick error: at:8007fffc expect:80000 , read:ffffffff
    mtest_quick error: at:800ffffc expect:100000 , read:ffffffff
    [/quote]

and so on... then it hangs and reboots itself after a while... after exchanging the faulty RAM to some plain kingston 1GB DDR2 module then this comes :

[quote]
    CPBoot 1.2.0.0 (build 20527)
    Built: 2009-01-20 at 18:55:40

Info: ECC is not supported by the DIMMs
    DRAM:  Operating at 533 MHz
    DRAM:  Channel 0: 1024 MB
    DRAM:  Channel 2: 0 MB
    DRAM:  Total = 1024 MB
           Memory test: Physical 0x10000000 - 0x40000000 - quick test
           PASS
    CPU:   XLR508 rev. C4  Clock: 800MHz
    Board: A3200
    CPLD:  rev: 1.1
    SMP:   All 8 cpus successfully started
    Boot:  Primary bootflash partition
    POST2: OK
    Net:   xlr_gmac0 xlr_gmac1 xlr_gmac2 xlr_gmac3
    IDE:   Bus 0: OK
           Device 0: Model: CF 512MB Firm: 20080112 Ser#: 2009A     0000209269
                     Type: Removable Hard Disk
                     Capacity: 502.0 MB = 0.4 GB (1028160 x 512)

Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
    Loading image 0:0###############################################################
    ################################################################################
    ################################################################################
    ###########
    Image is signed; verifying checksum...
    passed
    Signer Cert OK
    Policy Cert OK
     RSA signature verified.

Booting image...
    Uncompressing core image files... 00:00:07  done. 00:00:42

Aruba Networks
    ArubaOS Version 6.1.3.4 (build 34587 / label #34587)
    Built by p4build@corsica on 2012-07-23 at 16:04:55 PDT (gcc version 3.4.3)
    Copyright (c) 2002-2012, Aruba Networks, Inc.

<<<<<    Welcome to Aruba Networks - Aruba A3200    >>>>>

Performing CompactFlash fast test...  Checking for file system...
    Passed.
    Ancillary files are not present
    Reboot Cause: User pushed reset.
    Downloading SOS...done.

Restoring the database...done.
    Generating SSH Keys......done.
    Initializing TPM and Certificates
    ====================== E R R O R =======================
    TPM Initialization or Certificate Initialization failed.
    For debug information see /tmp/deviceCertLib.log.
    If this message appears even after rebooting the device
    couple of times, please contact Aruba Networks.
    ========================================================
    Reading configuration from factory-default.cfg

***************** Welcome to the Aruba3200 setup dialog *****************
    This dialog will help you to set the basic configuration for the switch.
    These settings, except for the Country Code, can later be changed from the
    Command Line Interface or Graphical User Interface.

Commands: <Enter> Submit input or use [default value], <ctrl-I> Help
    <ctrl-B> Back, <ctrl-F> Forward, <ctrl-A> Line begin, <ctrl-E> Line end
    <ctrl-D> Delete, <BackSpace> Delete back, <ctrl-K> Delete to end of line
    <ctrl-P> Previous question <ctrl-X> Restart beginning

Enter System name [Aruba3200]: [/quote]

*************************************+

anyone knows some extended RAM test commands ?

regards
    ben

• 2.  RE: Memory Upgrade MC 3200 / ArubaOS 6.2 // memory test commands after upgrade failed memory ...

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 26, 2012 07:25 AM

Try eye_finder at the cpboot> prompt

It is just like anything else:  the memory you would get from the upgrade kit is tested to work without issue and is guaranteed to work over the long run and underwent QA to run in a controller.  Third-party memory not so much.  Your mileage will certainly vary.

• 3.  RE: Memory Upgrade MC 3200 / ArubaOS 6.2 // memory test commands after upgrade failed memory ...

Posted Nov 06, 2013 04:29 PM

CJ...are you saying off the shelf memory will conceivably work...or not?  I'm asking because I'm wanting to migrate to 6.2.x.x from 6.1.x.x and its required to have 1024 DRAM on those 512Mb 3200s.  I don't want to pay x6 @ $300 for this memory stick if something off the shelf will suffice.  Honestly, this should be covered under my support contract for the controller...or one would think.

Please let me know if you are aware of this being sole proprietary upgrade of open-source memory stick capable.

Regards,

Bruce

• 4.  RE: Memory Upgrade MC 3200 / ArubaOS 6.2 // memory test commands after upgrade failed memory ...

Posted Apr 14, 2014 10:32 AM

I'm in the exact same situation. Did you ever figure this out?

If so what memory interface (DDR2, DDR3?) and and speed did you end up going with?

• 5.  RE: Memory Upgrade MC 3200 / ArubaOS 6.2 // memory test commands after upgrade failed memory ...

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 14, 2014 10:41 AM

arthurmnev,

Its just like everything else;  you can obtain memory that we are not selling and I am sure you can get it to work but you will lose our protection with that specific part installed.  If you purchased it from us, we specifically test that memory to ensure that you will not have any issues, and if you do we can be responsible for it.  It costs more because we have to spend time stocking it and  testing it to ensure what we are selling will not break under stress over time.  If you don't purchase it from us, we cannot guarantee that.

If you have a mission-critical deployment, please understand what you are doing.

• 6.  RE: Memory Upgrade MC 3200 / ArubaOS 6.2 // memory test commands after upgrade failed memory ...

Posted Apr 14, 2014 10:57 AM

This is not a mission critical deployment. Its residential (my house)

I have Ap225, need a controller for interior / exterior AP control

I can grab a 3200 series relatively cheap, but, from I understand it needs a memory upgrade to run ArubaOS 6.3

If I can avoid paying 6x for 1GB of memory, I'm OK with the risk factor.

What kind of memory is in there? I'm talking about speed and interface, form factor SO-DIMM, DIMM, DDR2 or DDR3?

#AP225

• 7.  RE: Memory Upgrade MC 3200 / ArubaOS 6.2 // memory test commands after upgrade failed memory ...

Posted Dec 24, 2014 10:48 PM

For the record, here is the 1gb version of the 512mb module:

1GB PC2-4200 DDR2-533      AEF 
    240-pin ECC
    non-Registered SDRAM DIMM

Got mine from MemoryTen for appx $17

That said, I use this in a lab system and no problems to date.

But I have to agree with ColinJ, if this is a production machine, I'm going with Aruba's recommendation

• 8.  RE: Memory Upgrade MC 3200 / ArubaOS 6.2 // memory test commands after upgrade failed memory ...

Posted Aug 01, 2016 02:35 PM

I'm currently in the same situation. I have the Dell Branded W-3200 controller and I need to upgrade to 6.2 but the RAM doesn't support it. The reason I need to upgrade is because I need to get rid of the problem with the captive portal not assigning the correct role and hoping that 6.2 will do the job.

At least that's what the DELL support was telling me. Currently running v6.1.3.9.

Similar issue to:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/Captive-Portal-not-assigning-correct-Role/td-p/28390

But I don't want to spend $300 for an "old system" RAM. Even if it's new, I think it's overprice. :(

Especially now that I'm kind of forced to upgrade to fix a bug that exist on the current software.

Do you have the part numbers for that $17 RAM by any chance?

I might going to try the same and take the risk.

TIA

• 9.  RE: Memory Upgrade MC 3200 / ArubaOS 6.2 // memory test commands after upgrade failed memory ...

Posted Aug 02, 2016 05:39 PM

I just reviewed my order, this is what I bought

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002K6VVK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If the link above does not past right:
    Kingston Technology 1 GB DIMM Memory 533 MHz (PC2 4200) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Single (Not a kit) KTD-DM8400A/1G

I wanted to offer to send one to you for free, but at $3.38 per, it is not worth it :)

• 10.  RE: Memory Upgrade MC 3200 / ArubaOS 6.2 // memory test commands after upgrade failed memory ...

Posted Aug 03, 2016 05:10 PM

Thanks!!

Do you know if it's an ECC ram? I don't see any of that stated in the product info on the link that you gave me.

If it was working for you then it must be ECC?

• 11.  RE: Memory Upgrade MC 3200 / ArubaOS 6.2 // memory test commands after upgrade failed memory ...

Posted Aug 23, 2016 12:07 PM

Just want to update and hopefully help someone that's in the same situation. 

I ended up purchasing the following RAM from Amazon and so far it's working great. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUA3LNC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheers!