Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Memory VisualRF

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Memory VisualRF

Posted Mar 15, 2013 07:31 AM

Hi

What is the value recommended for Memory allocation in the Airwave? At the moment I have more 2000 APs in the AMP.

Thanks

Regards

• 2.  RE: Memory VisualRF

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 18, 2013 12:22 PM

This value typically depends on the number of floor plans, number of APs per floor plan, and number of expected clients per floor plan.  On average, I'd suggest a minimum of 4GB.  You should note that the memory allocated to VisualRF is going to only be used for VisualRF.

• 3.  RE: Memory VisualRF

Posted Mar 20, 2013 10:28 AM

Is it possible that fot the memory it is not updated the VisualRF with APs new? To shown the APs I need disble VisualRF disable and re-enable.

Thanks

Regards

• 4.  RE: Memory VisualRF

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 20, 2013 11:25 AM

Are you saying that you've added new APs into the AMP and that they are not showing up for provisioning?

If so, disabling and restarting VisualRF engine is a quick workaround to refresh the provisioning list.  Otherwise it has been known to take between 5-15 minutes (or longer) for the provisioning list to update depending on the amount of processing being done in the background.  The time it takes for VRF to learn of devices is directly correlated with memory allocation, number of floor plans, number of APs per floor plan, and number of clients per floor plan.

• 5.  RE: Memory VisualRF

Posted Mar 20, 2013 11:41 AM

Yes it is.

With this I understood that if I increase the memory of VisualRF improve this aspect.

Now I have, 

Memory Allocation:  8GB

Synchronization Timer: 15 minutes

I understand that each 15 minutes the VisualRF must be upgraded and new APs appear, Is this right?

Thanks

Regards

• 6.  RE: Memory VisualRF

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 20, 2013 11:56 AM

Correct, though increasing the memory allocation isn't always an improvement because it locks the memory into VisualRF only.  This is where balancing the memory used by AMP vs VisualRF comes in.  If you see that AMP is struggling to make updates, then you may want to reduce VRF memory.  The reason being that memory allocated to VRF cannot be borrowed for other processes in the AMP.

Also, the use of the word upgrade should be reserved for versioning changes.  In this case, we're saying that the synchronization timer suggests that the VisualRF database is updated every 15 minutes (or sooner depending on work-load).  You are on the right track!