Wireless Access

last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Mesh back to back (portal ~ point - portal ~ point)?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Mesh back to back (portal ~ point - portal ~ point)?

MVP
    Posted Apr 19, 2017 12:01 PM

Got a setp where I use AP277's to create to create a point to point mesh link. On the meshpoint side of that link I would like to connect an AP275 as meshportal to provide services to 3 more points in further up.

Is this possible? 

Can I connect the central point-portal directly through their eth1 interfaces while supplying only power to eth0? Or how should I connect them?

Idealy:                                   

LAN - (eth0) portal1 <-> point (eth1) - (eth1) portal 2 <-> points 2,3 and 4

• 2.  RE: Mesh back to back (portal ~ point - portal ~ point)?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 19, 2017 12:15 PM

This is supported and works fine on AOS only (IAP is not supported in this topology). One thing to note is you will want to setup your mesh in bridge mode, as tunnels inside tunnels will create an issue after 3 hops. Otherwise, it's fine. 

• 3.  RE: Mesh back to back (portal ~ point - portal ~ point)?

MVP
    Posted Apr 19, 2017 01:12 PM

what exactly do you mean with 'setup the mesh in bridge mode'?

I've set this up. Point to point is working.

All mesh APs are configured with

eth0 port config: default;

eth1 port config:  wired AP enabled, bridge, trusted, access vlan 100 (the vlan on the controller from which the APs get their DHCP addresses)

I'm supplying poe to eth0 for both the 'remote'-point and the wired portal after it.

I've connected eth1 of both 'remote'-point and the wired portal after it to eachother. Straight connection, no switch inbetween.

The 'remote'-point shows its eth1 is up and I can see some RX trafic on it.

(h1w_001t123_c1) #  show ap debug port status ap-name remote_ptp_point

AP "remote_ptp_point" Port Status
    --------------------------------------------
    Port MAC Type Forward Mode Admin Oper Speed Duplex 802.3az PoE STP Portfast TX-Packets TX-Bytes RX-Packets RX-Bytes
    ---- --- ---- ------------ ----- ---- ----- ------ ------- --- --- -------- ---------- -------- ---------- --------
    0 b4:5d:50:c9:3c:b6 GE N/A enabled down N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A 14 1718 41 8322
    1 b4:5d:50:c9:3c:b7 GE bridge enabled up 1 Gb/s full disabled N/A N/A N/A 191 37701 970 334992

But the portal after it stays down.

• 4.  RE: Mesh back to back (portal ~ point - portal ~ point)?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 19, 2017 03:53 PM

What is the config of ENET1? It should be whatever VLAN you need it to be on to reach the controller? And if it's not VLAN1 and you are doing bridge mode on the wired backhaul, then you will also need to create a new AP system profile to define what the native VLAN ID is so the controller knows what should be 'untagged' so the APs know where to drop it out on the wire.

• 5.  RE: Mesh back to back (portal ~ point - portal ~ point)?

MVP
    Posted Apr 20, 2017 10:04 AM

Right! I missed the vlan id in the ap system profile. Will test later and update here with the result.

Thank you for the assistance.

• 6.  RE: Mesh back to back (portal ~ point - portal ~ point)?

MVP
    Posted Apr 21, 2017 02:00 PM

Jerrod,

It is working in tunnel mode. But can't get it to work with e1 in bridge mode. Support actually gave me a "not supported" without specifying either method.

I'll probably not need more than 3 hops so I'm not stuck perse but well.. I want to be sure to not run into issues later on.

AP system profiles are all set to the correct vlan id.

The only thing I change goign from working to not coming up is the 'wired ap profile' forward mode from tunnel to bridge.

Effect in bridge is: the remote portal does get an ip address but can't actualy reach the controller/ Controller datapath session table gives Y flags and 0 bytes.

• 7.  RE: Mesh back to back (portal ~ point - portal ~ point)?

Posted Apr 21, 2017 02:08 PM

Mesh Portal behind a point is support if the 2nd portal is terminated on a different controller. We dont support daisy chain on the same controller. The setup is not stable and not recommended. 

• 8.  RE: Mesh back to back (portal ~ point - portal ~ point)?

MVP
    Posted Apr 21, 2017 02:12 PM

So connecting the first mesh link to the master controller and the second mesh link to the local controller is supported/stable/... ? Because that would be easy to do.

Or must that second controller not be connected to the setup of the first mesh link?

• 9.  RE: Mesh back to back (portal ~ point - portal ~ point)?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 21, 2017 02:13 PM

• 10.  RE: Mesh back to back (portal ~ point - portal ~ point)?

MVP
    Posted Apr 21, 2017 02:40 PM

jerrod: just to confirm.. your experience is with power to E0 and connect E1 on the remote-point directly to E1 on the remote-portal?

• 11.  RE: Mesh back to back (portal ~ point - portal ~ point)?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 21, 2017 04:06 PM

I've done both ways, using E0 for everything, as well as E0+E1. 

• 12.  RE: Mesh back to back (portal ~ point - portal ~ point)?

Posted Aug 31, 2018 06:33 PM

Was there a solution found for this?  We are running into the same problem and have been working with TAC for some time now but still stuck with the 2nd portal not coming up.

• 13.  RE: Mesh back to back (portal ~ point - portal ~ point)?

MVP
    Posted Sep 02, 2018 02:03 PM

Sorry, nothing to add to what has already been said in this topic.

My setup works using tunneled mode and only 2 hops.