Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Mesh network 105 AP as portal and 134 AP as point

This is my first question on Airheads so please be patient.  I am configuring a mesh network using a 620 Controller with code version 6.1.3.7.  I created the necessary mesh profiles as new but used the default profile settings.  I ensured the radio (as defaulted) is enabled to carry both client and admin traffic on both radio profiles.  The APs provisioned as they should and the point associated with the portal just fine.

Here's my question: Both APs are "N" capable but only the "a/n" channel is active or "showing a green light", the "b/g" channel is "showing a red light" on the portal and the point is "showing green for a/n but the b/g is showing a yelow light".

I created the 4 mesh profiles: radio, RF Management, High Throughput, and the Mesh Cluster.  I created a private VLAN and a management VLAN with 2 Client VLANs.

I am confused as to why I don't see all green lights on both "N" cabable APs? 

Thanks for any assistance - tail_rotor

MVP

Re: Mesh network 105 AP as portal and 134 AP as point

Under the RF Management > 802.11 g radio profile  make sure you have enable HT 

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA

If "HT" means High Throughput - then yes it is enabled. Thanks...

MVP

[ Edited ]

If you do show ap active | include <ap-name> and it should tell you if the AP is using HT on g , it should look like this g-HT

This might be unrelated but are you using 100 or a 1000 connection from the switch to the AP ?

Thank you

Victor Fabian

Sorry to take so long to get back to you...yesterday I watched the "802.11ac" presentation (it was great).  

This ia a testing environment preparing to roll out a mesh network about the end of June.  The connection is a 100Mb to the AP.  I am copying the "Active AP Table":

(test_controller_620) #show ap active

Active AP Table

---------------

Name            Group           IP Address   11g Clients  11g Ch/EIRP/MaxEIRP  11a Clients  11a Ch/EIRP/MaxEIRP  AP Type  Flags  Uptime      Outer IP

----            -----           ----------   -----------  -------------------  -----------  -------------------  -------  -----  ------      --------

RC_BrnKnl_PT    RC_BrnKnl_mesh  172.16.6.25  0            MP:HT:11/12/22.5     0                                 134      M      3h:25m:48s  Outer IP

RC_BrnKnl_Port  RC_BrnKnl_mesh  172.16.6.27  0            MPP:HT:11/12/22.5    0                                 105      M      3h:21m:22s  Outer IP

Num APs:2

(test_controller_620) #

Hope this helps -- I am still unsure why?  I have factory defaulted the APs and configured and "ripped out the config" and configured the controller again new.  The APs still come up one channel short and no advertised SSID.  Another interesting finding: I can change the RF band to "g" and it comes up green with "a" red or visa versa.

Thanks for any suggestions....

MVP

[ Edited ]

I am wondering if you confusing the ENET LEDs with the radios LEDs.

When you connect your AP to a 100 Meg port the LED is AMBER and when it is a gig is green

Make sure you set the Mesh cluster RF band to use "a" instead of  "g" , it looks like you are using "g" for your mesh link

Mesh Cluster.png

Make sure you have HT enabled under the HT SSID Profile

Mesh HT.png

And it looks like your 802.11a radio is disabled under the RF radio profiles make sure you have the radio enabled 

RF Radio Profile.png

Thank you

Victor Fabian

I was merely testing for result configuring the RF band to "g" -- I have configured the RF band back to "a".  The channel "a/n" went to green and now the "b/g" channel is read on the portal AP.  I have verified on the controller that my settings match your suggested settings and attached screen shots.

Thanks for taking a look...

MVP

If you go under the VIrtual AP > SSID Profile > HT SSID Profile  do you have HT Enabled?

Thank you

Victor Fabian

[ Edited ]

Yes the HT is enabled under VIrtual AP > SSID Profile > HT SSID Profile -- though I am confused -- I had not configured a Virtual AP profile.  The Mesh Chaper 8 didn't say anything about creating a Virtual AP profile.  Thanks....I did create a VAP but nothing changed -- still the same issue.

MVP

If you want advertise the SSID to a wireless device you need that if you are trying the wired port (e1) on the mesh point then you don't need the VAP enabled
Thank you

Victor Fabian
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: