Wireless Access

Mo
Contributor I

Mesh networks and STP

Hi,

On the ArubaOS 6.3.x User Guide, page 500, under Configuration Consideratios, you find: "If you configure more than one mesh node in the same VLAN, prevent network loops by enabling STP on the Layer-2 switch used to connect the mesh nodes.".

Can someone explain further what scenario the mesh network could cause network loops?

Thanks,

Mo

MVP

Re: Mesh networks and STP

The reason you use that is because you may see the same traffic coming from both directions and since you are using these as potential uplink in a location that doesn't have a direct connection back to main location you need to enable STP to avoid that.

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
MVP

It's not that the mesh would 'create loops', but if you had two active mesh points on the same portal, and both points were wired in to the same switch, that would cause a loop. Essentially if you bridge over the wire, two mesh points, that creates a loop. So long as one takes care never to bridge the points over the wire, you won't see any loops.

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Techical Marketing Engineer
Mo
Contributor I

Thanks.

Loose statments are really bad. I think the correct statment in the manual would be: If you are using mesh for interconnecting networks that may have a second path in between them you should enable STP to prevent loops. But the statement is If you configure more than one... In wireless there are too much unknowns that I preffer to ask than to guess.

So, no hiden gosts to find, right? Like any other network we must make sure the mesh portal will not be connected to a netowork that could cause a standard L2 loop.

Thanks,

Mo

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: