Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Microsoft Surface with Windows RT

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Microsoft Surface with Windows RT

Posted Nov 05, 2012 01:40 PM

I had someone bring me a new Surface tablet today loaded with Windows RT.

This tablet cannot connect to either my 802.1x network or get to the captive portal on the "open" network.

I believe both issues to be certificate-related, although I can find no information from Microsoft on what exactly is supported.

Any have one of these yet?

• 2.  RE: Microsoft Surface with Windows RT

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 05, 2012 07:09 PM

I noticed that regular x86 Windows 8 does not come with all of the standard Root CAs.

• 3.  RE: Microsoft Surface with Windows RT

Posted Nov 06, 2012 09:43 AM

Interestingly, once this user logged into a non-secured wireless network (at home) and ran all the latest updates, he could connect to both networks here just fine.

I searched the web, but could not find anything from Microsoft about this issue.

• 4.  RE: Microsoft Surface with Windows RT

Posted Feb 26, 2013 07:19 AM

I can add that we succefully connected a Surface (RT) to our 802.1X network today using EAP-TLS and Microsoft NPS. No problems getting the certifcate on the device and using it. The Aruba-controller detects the unit as "Windows".

• 5.  RE: Microsoft Surface with Windows RT

Posted Mar 07, 2013 09:20 AM

We have lots of problems here with windows 8 tablets and laptops.  I believe it to be mostly related to Win8 bugs that still have not been fixed.  Devices do not roam, they are VERY sticky, and give the user intermittent connections.  We use 802.1x PEAP and MSCHAPv2.

We can get the devices to connect but they are't "mobile" at all.  Does anyone else have a TAC case open on this?

Matt

• 6.  RE: Microsoft Surface with Windows RT

Posted Jan 08, 2014 12:38 PM

I do, just today.  I block Smartphones and Windows RT release is categorized as a smartphone.  I have requestd the development team fingerprint the RT version and categorize it as a tablet or computer.

• 7.  RE: Microsoft Surface with Windows RT

Posted Jan 08, 2014 12:45 PM

Windows 8.1 is categorized as Computer

• 8.  RE: Microsoft Surface with Windows RT

Posted Dec 08, 2014 04:28 PM

Be sure the time is correct on the Surface.