Wireless Access

Contributor II

Microsoft Surface with Windows RT

I had someone bring me a new Surface tablet today loaded with Windows RT.

This tablet cannot connect to either my 802.1x network or get to the captive portal on the "open" network.

I believe both issues to be certificate-related, although I can find no information from Microsoft on what exactly is supported.

Any have one of these yet?

Guru Elite

Re: Microsoft Surface with Windows RT

I noticed that regular x86 Windows 8 does not come with all of the standard Root CAs.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Contributor II

Interestingly, once this user logged into a non-secured wireless network (at home) and ran all the latest updates, he could connect to both networks here just fine.

I searched the web, but could not find anything from Microsoft about this issue.

New Contributor

I can add that we succefully connected a Surface (RT) to our 802.1X network today using EAP-TLS and Microsoft NPS. No problems getting the certifcate on the device and using it. The Aruba-controller detects the unit as "Windows".

Contributor I

We have lots of problems here with windows 8 tablets and laptops.  I believe it to be mostly related to Win8 bugs that still have not been fixed.  Devices do not roam, they are VERY sticky, and give the user intermittent connections.  We use 802.1x PEAP and MSCHAPv2.

We can get the devices to connect but they are't "mobile" at all.  Does anyone else have a TAC case open on this?

Matt

Contributor II

I do, just today.  I block Smartphones and Windows RT release is categorized as a smartphone.  I have requestd the development team fingerprint the RT version and categorize it as a tablet or computer.

Contributor II

Windows 8.1 is categorized as Computer

New Contributor

Be sure the time is correct on the Surface. 

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: