Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Migrating local controllers to different master

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Migrating local controllers to different master

Posted Feb 25, 2015 09:20 AM

In order to simplify management, I want to consolidate many local controllers under a redundant pair of master controllers, rather than maintain many pairs of master/local controllers.  Config management is a bit of a nightmare right now.

I've never moved a local controller from one master to another and would like to know if it's as simple as pointing the local to the new master, or if I should wipe the config first, then make it local to the other master?

Some of the AP group names will change so how will the APs react to this change?  Will they still show up in the master, maybe with a dirty config?  If so, I can just reprovision them to the new AP group.

When it comes time to make the "old" master local to the "new" master, is it just a matter of changing it to a local controller?

• 2.  RE: Migrating local controllers to different master
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 25, 2015 07:43 PM

When a local changes to a new master, it will reboot and pull a new configuration from the new master.

Conected APs will follow (some caveats depending on how you handle master discovery) and ooperate as you might expect.

Similarly when you tell the "old" master that it's now a local to a "new" master, it will reboot and get it's new configuration from the new master.

If you have changed AP-group-names then you'll have to go to the master and re-provision the access points.

It's not as scary or as comvoluted as it seems while planning - I've been shuffling masters around here for the last few months as we redesign how we handle redundancy and configuration control as well.

• 3.  RE: Migrating local controllers to different master

Posted Feb 26, 2015 04:21 PM
    Great answers! Thanks for help!