Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Mobility Controller for a AP-225 & AP Licencing

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Mobility Controller for a AP-225 & AP Licencing

Posted Oct 08, 2017 01:02 AM

Hi,

I'm new to Aruba and as I understand it the AP-225 is a controller based AP and as such can't run in standalone mode as and Instant AP and can't be converted to an IAP-225 via a firmware change.  I just wanted to verify the 7010-RW Mobility Controller is suitable to control a AP-225 and if the correct licence for a single AP-225 is the product code: JW472AAE before I purchase these items.  Also is there anything else required to make this AP functional? This AP would be running on a home network and Authentication would be via WPA2 with a username & password. 

Thanks for your time.

• 2.  RE: Mobility Controller for a AP-225 & AP Licencing

Posted Oct 08, 2017 08:07 AM

Can anybody also tell me if the 7010-RW Mobility Controller comes with a permanent Base OS Licence or if that has to be purchased seperately.

I assume the Base OS Licence is required in order for the Controller to function & to load AP Licences onto it, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks.

• 3.  RE: Mobility Controller for a AP-225 & AP Licencing
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 08, 2017 08:11 AM

@uptime wrote:

Can anybody also tell me if the 7010-RW Mobility Controller comes with a permanent Base OS Licence or if that has to be purchased seperately.

I assume the Base OS Licence is required in order for the Controller to function & to load AP Licences onto it, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks.

It does not come with or require a Base OS license.

• 4.  RE: Mobility Controller for a AP-225 & AP Licencing

Posted Nov 27, 2017 07:23 AM

Hi there,

Forgive me if I sound a little dense, but the licencing for AP controllers is puzzling me. If I have a controller capable of supporting say, 16 AP's do I need to buy 16 licences in addition to cost of AP's and the controller or, do the AP's connect to the controller anyway (for a basic single site WiFi network) and I would need to buy licences only for additional functions? Thanks in advance.

• 5.  RE: Mobility Controller for a AP-225 & AP Licencing

Posted Nov 27, 2017 07:31 AM
    Yes you will need to purchase AP license in order for the AP to come up and communicate with the controller you need an AP license

Take a look a this link for more info
    http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_80_Web_Help/Content/LicenseGuide/License_Usage.htm

Get Outlook for iOS

• 6.  RE: Mobility Controller for a AP-225 & AP Licencing

Posted Nov 27, 2017 07:38 AM

How, where  do I purchase licenses, directly from Aruba?

• 7.  RE: Mobility Controller for a AP-225 & AP Licencing

Posted Nov 27, 2017 08:00 AM

I've inherited a site that currently has 7 IAP 105's and they are looking to expand, I was thinking of getting a controller, buying some AP 105's and downgrading the IAP's to AP's and setting them all up on the same WiFi network with a controller. Alternatively could I buy some Aruba IAP-305's and just add them to the curent network? Would there be compatiblity issues?

• 8.  RE: Mobility Controller for a AP-225 & AP Licencing
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 08, 2017 08:10 AM

@uptime wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to Aruba and as I understand it the AP-225 is a controller based AP and as such can't run in standalone mode as and Instant AP and can't be converted to an IAP-225 via a firmware change.  I just wanted to verify the 7010-RW Mobility Controller is suitable to control a AP-225 and if the correct licence for a single AP-225 is the product code: JW472AAE before I purchase these items.  Also is there anything else required to make this AP functional? This AP would be running on a home network and Authentication would be via WPA2 with a username & password. 

Thanks for your time.

Only access point licenses would be required for the number of access points you would be running with that controller.