Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Mobility Master Aruba 8.0 and AP registration?

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Mobility Master Aruba 8.0 and AP registration?

Posted Mar 23, 2018 12:35 AM

Hi Guys,

I want to move from Master/Backup Master (WLC1-Master <=> WLC2-Backup) topology running on WLC 70xx besause they do not support AP point termination starting from 8.0 release (https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/tkb/articleprintpage/tkb-id/ControllerBasedWLANs/article-id/2740). But, I have only one set of centralized licenses on WLC1.

Could I migrate to WLC1-Local <=> WLC2-Local and still have centralized licensing? Or could I disable Mobility Master?

Cheers,
    Alex.

• 2.  RE: Mobility Master Aruba 8.0 and AP registration?

Posted Mar 23, 2018 07:35 AM
    If you have a Mobility Master(MM) all your existing licenses (AP,PEF,RFP) will need to be transferred to the MM using the HPE portal , the MM will be your license server.

For the AP registration configure VRRP for your two controllers and you can point your Aruba-master to that VIP or DHCP option 43

If your controllers are clustered then the AP will only use the VRRP VIP using the initial setup and after it is provisioned the AP will use the node list all your controllers in the cluster

Pardon typos sent from Mobile

• 3.  RE: Mobility Master Aruba 8.0 and AP registration?

Posted Mar 25, 2018 06:25 PM

Hi Victor,

Thank you your response. If I understand everything correctly, there is no real redundancy with 2 controllers (the setup I have) because they will not register on MM when one controller fails -> such setup does not make sense. Is it correct?

Thank you.

P.S.

I created small lab setup breaking up existing topology to 2 masters. When I use 8.0.0.0 - APs are able to register. When I update to something higher than 8.0.0.0 , there is a message "MM doesn't support AP redirect or termination"

• 4.  RE: Mobility Master Aruba 8.0 and AP registration?

Posted Mar 25, 2018 06:51 PM
    Do you have mobility controllers (7000 or 7200 series) ?

Pardon typos sent from Mobile

• 5.  RE: Mobility Master Aruba 8.0 and AP registration?

Posted Mar 25, 2018 07:44 PM

I have 2  WLC 7010 running Master/Backup Master vrrp setup.  ArubaOS Version 8.0.0.0. 

When I move to something higher than 8.0.0.0, AP registration stops working with the error I put in the last message.

Ideally, I'd like to have the same setup, but only want to upgrade software.

Cheers,

Alex.