Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Mobility Master not reachable from WiFi

This thread has been viewed 32 times
  • 1.  Mobility Master not reachable from WiFi

Posted May 21, 2018 07:22 AM

Hey Guys,

if been looking at this issue for quite some time now and I can't find the root of this problem.

We use dynamic vlan assignement within our SSID. When my Device is in the default-vlan, I can reach the Mobility-Master from my Laptop, when I'm in any other VLAN I can't ping the active MM and the VRRP-IP. I can ping the backup-MM though. If I switch Master and Backup-MM, the behavior stays the same. So this is only applying to the active MM and its VRRP-IP.

In order to narrow down the issue I'v put the VLANs configured as access on a switch and everything worked fine from both VLANs. Then I created a role "wlan-user" which just says "accept any any" for IPv4 and IPv6. Our MM only have IPv4, due to a bug in our ESXi.

I can see this behavior on any device and I ensured the role is applying correctly. There are no wrong routes or anything like that on the client devices. Has someone noticed this issue before and can help me to fix that?

Greetings,
    Hendrik

• 2.  RE: Mobility Master not reachable from WiFi

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 21, 2018 07:26 AM

You should honestly troubleshoot this as any other networking issue.   The MM only has a single ip address.

EDIT:  What is the default gateway of your MM and what is the default gateway of the wifi clients?  Make sure the default gateways are correct.

• 3.  RE: Mobility Master not reachable from WiFi

Posted May 21, 2018 07:54 AM

I already checked that.

Let me explain it a bit further:
    10.0.0.1 is the default gateway

10.0.0.10 is the VRRP-IP

10.0.0.11 is MM-1

10.0.0.12 is MM-2

when the MM-1 is the active MM and is claiming the VRRP-IP I can't ping 10.0.0.10 and 10.0.0.11, but I can ping 10.0.0.12.

If I then reboot MM-1 and MM-2 becomes actice I can't ping 10.0.0.10 and 10.0.0.12, but I can ping 10.0.0.11.

Yes, the default gateway of everything is correct and If I use a wire everything works fine. This issue just occures over wifi and only on those APs, that are terminating on a controller managed by those MMs. If I'm logged into the wifi with the same assigned vlan on our old 6.5 setup everything works fine. If this was a normal networking issue, I wouldn't have posted that in here.

• 4.  RE: Mobility Master not reachable from WiFi

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 21, 2018 08:07 AM

Can you ping all three ip addresses from the default gateway of the MM?

EDIT:

What is the difference between the VLAN that the users are on wired vs. wireless?  Are you blocking any user traffic?

• 5.  RE: Mobility Master not reachable from WiFi

Posted May 21, 2018 08:12 AM

yes, I can. Also from every other network we have, if the connection is wired.

• 6.  RE: Mobility Master not reachable from WiFi

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 21, 2018 08:17 AM

How are you treating the wireless user traffic differently?  Is there a role ACL on the user traffic?  If you are not blocking any user traffic on the wireless, please open a TAC case, because we don't have any information on what could be causing your issue.  You can open a TAC case following the instructions here:  https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/

• 7.  RE: Mobility Master not reachable from WiFi

Posted Dec 04, 2018 10:20 AM

Hello Hendrik,

did you figured out what was your issue here?

Best

Maik

• 8.  RE: Mobility Master not reachable from WiFi

Posted Feb 16, 2019 02:59 PM

Hello,

I have the same issue, was this ever solved?

Thanks

• 9.  RE: Mobility Master not reachable from WiFi

Posted May 29, 2020 06:04 PM

I have the same issue with a client, do you ever resolve this?

• 10.  RE: Mobility Master not reachable from WiFi

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 15, 2021 06:44 PM