Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Mode Bridge in ArubaOs

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Mode Bridge in ArubaOs

Posted Jul 29, 2013 06:26 PM

Hello, My questions is the following.

I have a centralized scheme. The mode bridge allows the traffic does not reach the controller?. It is possible con AP 135 in mode AP, not instant, not RAP. Thanks

#AP135

• 2.  RE: Mode Bridge in ArubaOs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 29, 2013 06:28 PM

Yes...you can operate an AP135 in bridge mode.  No data traffic hits the controller.  However, the control plane (authentication, control, etc...) is centralized.

• 3.  RE: Mode Bridge in ArubaOs

Posted Jul 29, 2013 06:30 PM

It means that traffic will not be sent to the controller? stay on the switch that has the vlans? since this is currently defined routes

• 4.  RE: Mode Bridge in ArubaOs

Posted Jul 29, 2013 06:34 PM

Yep.The AP will become transparent and will "bridge" the clients the your sw.

Bridge is used where there is a private WAN, just to get the clients on the wired network at that location.

• 5.  RE: Mode Bridge in ArubaOs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 29, 2013 06:35 PM

Yes...bridge mode is locally switching traffic.  When APs are used in bridge mode, the user VLAN and the AP VLAN are typically the same VLAN, because this model operates only on a flat Layer 2 network. In this case, the AP is handling the traffic exclusively for the user and bridging it locally instead of sending the traffic back to the mobility controller for processing.

• 6.  RE: Mode Bridge in ArubaOs

Posted Jul 29, 2013 06:41 PM

Perfect. Other questions. bridge mode, I can work without problem with pefng. also because RAP is not recommended for MPLS? Because the mode Splitt Tunnel would be ideal.

Thanks

• 7.  RE: Mode Bridge in ArubaOs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 29, 2013 06:50 PM

Yes...PEFNG will work fine.  You should also be able to run in Split tunnel with the 135 as well.  That isn't an issue.  

• 8.  RE: Mode Bridge in ArubaOs

Posted Jul 29, 2013 06:52 PM

But, this only applies in RAP mode?

• 9.  RE: Mode Bridge in ArubaOs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 29, 2013 07:05 PM

I don't understand the question

@i920098 wrote:

But, this only applies in RAP mode?

• 10.  RE: Mode Bridge in ArubaOs

Posted Jul 29, 2013 07:09 PM

The mode Split Tunnel only valid for RAP?

• 11.  RE: Mode Bridge in ArubaOs

Posted Jul 29, 2013 07:11 PM

RAP = RemoteAP = IPSEC TUNNEL

CAP = CampusAP (Local LAN) = GRE TUNNEL

Split-Tunnel&Bridge are valid only in RAP Working mode . The AP-135 can act as a RAP or as a CAP -> It's all depands on how u configure it.

• 12.  RE: Mode Bridge in ArubaOs

Posted Jul 29, 2013 07:23 PM

In RAP mode, is supporting MPLS?

• 13.  RE: Mode Bridge in ArubaOs

Posted Jul 30, 2013 12:38 AM

Hi,

As far as i aware : ISP'S are using MPLS in order to provide easy i& connecitivy for their clients.

MPLS (Multiprotocol Label Switching)

As long as this MPLS is enableing your site to connect back to the controller (and MPLS dosent blocking IPSEC by default)

so there is no problem at all as far as i see it.

have a gr8 day.

me

• 14.  RE: Mode Bridge in ArubaOs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 30, 2013 02:53 AM

@kdisc98 wrote:

RAP = RemoteAP = IPSEC TUNNEL

CAP = CampusAP (Local LAN) = GRE TUNNEL

Split-Tunnel&Bridge are valid only in RAP Working mode . The AP-135 can act as a RAP or as a CAP -> It's all depands on how u configure it.

The 135 can have bridged ssids in campus mode, but you must have cpsec enabled to do that.

Remeber for bridged ssids, don't enable 'drop broadcast/multicast'

• 15.  RE: Mode Bridge in ArubaOs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 30, 2013 07:55 AM
    Let's back up here for a second. What is the business requirements? Not whether or not the technology can do XY or Z.