Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Moving from Aruba Controller 3200 to IAP-205's - Separate SSID - VLAN question:

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Moving from Aruba Controller 3200 to IAP-205's - Separate SSID - VLAN question:

Posted Jun 22, 2016 03:33 PM

Our Old configuration was a Guest SSID configured  and a Internal SSID all coming back to a Aruba 3200 controller.   The controller was configured to all me to split the 2 networks.   Once was attached directly into our Internal network from port 1 of the 3200,  the other was attached directly to our Public Router where DHCP has handed out for the public SSID's clients.

On the new IAP-205 I see how to set up the 2 sperate SSID's / DHCP's.    I am having a hard time figuring out how I split these 2 networks to 2 seperate VLANs coming back to the L3 switch.    My thought is that on my HP Procurve switch I would connect the access points to a Trunk ( Tagged ) VLAN(s) port.  Then on the switch have the Public VLAN connect to the public router, and the Private VLAN feed back to the internal network. 

I am unable to get the 2 VLANS on the wired side of the I-AP in trunck mode?  

Obviously my thinking is incorrect when moving from a controller to a I-AP Virtual Controller.

Suggestions.

Thank you

• 2.  RE: Moving from Aruba Controller 3200 to IAP-205's - Separate SSID - VLAN question:

Posted Jun 23, 2016 06:05 AM

Where is your AP getting it's IP from? Is that from the internal VLAN or a separate management VLAN?

If internal vlan, you can set the uplink of the IAP as trunked. you might gain some information from this thread: http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Aruba-Instant-Cloud-Wi-Fi/trunk-port-IAP/td-p/146796

If management vlan, you'll have to set the switch port as trunk with a native vlan id (mgmt). uplink configuration can remain as-is

• 3.  RE: Moving from Aruba Controller 3200 to IAP-205's - Separate SSID - VLAN question:

Posted Jun 23, 2016 08:20 AM
    Thank you for the reply,

My I-AP is given its IP address via DHCP on the internal VLAN 14, I currently have the virtual controller IP also set to an IP in the VLAN 14. The Switch is also on the VLAN14 IP range.

The External VLAN in the SSID I would like to set to VLAN1921 and have the traffic handled at the L3 switch.

• 4.  RE: Moving from Aruba Controller 3200 to IAP-205's - Separate SSID - VLAN question:

Posted Jun 23, 2016 09:12 AM

Either use the internal vlan as untagged/pvid on a tagged interface and use default instead of static in the SSID configuration, or tag the uplink of the IAP cluster.