Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Multiple GRE Tunnels (Redundancy GRE Tunnel)

This thread has been viewed 13 times
  • 1.  Multiple GRE Tunnels (Redundancy GRE Tunnel)

Posted Mar 08, 2013 03:21 PM
      |   view attached

Hi,

I was asking by one of my customer about redundancy GRE Tunnels. The goals is to pass specific VLAN X for remote controller inside the tunnel from :

- DC Site (Controller A), - or if this controller down 

- DRC Site (Controller B).

All controller are connected to L2 MPLS network.

But the subnet are different for the VLAN X from DC or from DRC site.

Anybody has done something similar like this? Is it even possible?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Multiple GRE Tunnels (Redundancy GRE Tunnel)

Posted Mar 08, 2013 05:14 PM

Do you have VRRP for the DC controllers? If so you can use the VRRP address as the destination of the tunnel.

• 3.  RE: Multiple GRE Tunnels (Redundancy GRE Tunnel)

Posted Mar 08, 2013 09:23 PM

No.

DC/DRC controllers are on a different location/network.

• 4.  RE: Multiple GRE Tunnels (Redundancy GRE Tunnel)

Posted Mar 09, 2013 02:12 AM

You said that the controllers are on L2 MPLS network, can not you configure VRRP in this case (a specific VLAN)?

I'm not aware any priority settings with L2 GRE, I'm afraid you can't do that. With L3 GRE you could use different costs for the routes which directs the traffic to the tunnels.

• 5.  RE: Multiple GRE Tunnels (Redundancy GRE Tunnel)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 09, 2013 08:48 AM

This is not possible with an Aruba Controller.  If you have a device that can do that, you should connect the Aruba controller to it and allow the device to provide the GRE tunning redundancy.

• 6.  RE: Multiple GRE Tunnels (Redundancy GRE Tunnel)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 09, 2013 09:53 AM

Hi

Stupid question: If you have L2 MPLS between your sites, and VLAN 10 can be extended throughout your sites, why would you need GRE tunnels? It seems to me that the simplest thing would be to use extended VLANs... Is there anything I've missed?

Regards

• 7.  RE: Multiple GRE Tunnels (Redundancy GRE Tunnel)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 09, 2013 09:59 AM

In any case, taking into account what you're trying to do, it seems to me that the simplest thing to do would be to have your APs associating the controllers in DC A and B.

I mean, if clients are logically going to be in either one of the datacenters, there is no real need for a local controller... Don't you agree?