Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Multiple VRRPs, different VLANs

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Multiple VRRPs, different VLANs

Posted Nov 14, 2014 06:18 AM

Hi 

I have a customer that wants to have 3 separate vlans for communication with the controller.

VLAN30, raps connect from the outside

VLAN 20, caps

VLAN 10, caps guest network

They have 2 controllers and want to run VRRP on all 3 VLANs, is it possible? what is best practice? i assume the controllers need to be set on active-active in the case that VLAN 30 cant communicate with controllerA and VLAN20 cant communicate with controllerB. Both controller has to be able to accept AP termination.

Is this configuration in some way easier if i enable LACP?

thanks

Carlos

• 2.  RE: Multiple VRRPs, different VLANs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 14, 2014 06:36 AM
    What are you trying to accomplish by having APs terminate in different vlans but on the same controllers? APs generally terminate at the management IP of the controller and is really only the destination IP for the GRE tunnel. What forwarding mode are you using on your SSIDs?

• 3.  RE: Multiple VRRPs, different VLANs

Posted Nov 14, 2014 06:43 AM

hi 

thanks for the answer

Since the ports are only 1gb, the idea is to maximize the throughput by separating raps from caps.

All caps are run in tunnelmode, raps run in tunnel and bridge.

So if APs are only able to terminate on the mgmt address of the controller, then there is no point of having multiple VRRPs?

/carlos

• 4.  RE: Multiple VRRPs, different VLANs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 14, 2014 06:46 AM
    Right. You should use a port-channel to aggregate your links together.

If you want to be able to terminate APs on both controllers simultaneously, you should consider a master/local topology.

• 5.  RE: Multiple VRRPs, different VLANs

Posted Nov 14, 2014 08:51 AM

Ok, so is it possible to have an inside mgmt address and an outside mgmt address and run VRRP on those addresses?

• 6.  RE: Multiple VRRPs, different VLANs

Posted Nov 16, 2014 03:40 PM

Thanks for your answers. But still unsure of how redundancy can work for our deployment. See the case below

We have a customer that have 2 controllers, controllerA and controllerB. He wants to have 3 different VLANs with vrrp.
    1. Is it possible to have the controllers run i active/active and having full database/configuration synchronization enabled?
    2. Do we have to enable LMS to configure where VLANs will terminate? for choosing master controller
    3. Is it neccesary to configure VRRP if we will use LMS ip?
    4. If we are having a VRRP address, do we need to add it to the dns or will ADP automatically detect it?
    5. If we run the controllers in master/standby, what will trigger the controller to change master? Is it when the management ip is down?