Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Multiple captive portal pages on one SSID

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Multiple captive portal pages on one SSID

Posted Jun 19, 2014 11:10 AM

Greetings.

I am working on my inherited Aruba setup with two master and two local controllers. I'm trying to create multiple captive portal pages for one SSID. Our AP's are on location specific subnets, ie 192.168.1.x /24, .2.x /24, etc with all wireless clients in every location pulling IP addresses from the same huge vlan, ie 172.16.0.x /18.

Is there a way to have different captive portal pages based on IP of the AP, not the client? In other words, if a client is coming from an AP in the 192.168.3.x network, they get a different CP page than the clients coming from an AP in the 172.16.5.x network? Or should each location have a different SSID, CP page and everything?

In another post, Colin Joseph suggested "Your approach will be determined by how many unique locations you have to display "welcome to: " for. If it is just a few locations, you can have a different initial role for each location and each initial role will have a different Captive Portal Authentication profile, which will have a different page", but I'm unsure how to accomplish this.

Any suggestions very welcome.

Thanks, Scott C.

• 2.  RE: Multiple captive portal pages on one SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 19, 2014 01:19 PM

Remember (on a controller) you are limited to 16 separate captive portal profiles.

Colin Joseph is correct, in that you have to.

• create different L3 captive portal profile for each site.  Make this a copy of the existing one.
    • create a different initial role for each site.  For each sites initial role, assign the captive portal create before for that site.
    • create a different aaa profile for each site.  Clone the existing and assign that sites initial role created before.
    • create a different virtual-ap for each site.  Clone the existing and assign that sites aaa-profile created before.
    • create an ap-group for each site.  Clone the existing, and remove the existing vap with the current captive portal and put in the new vap created before.
    • Reprovision aps into their respective ap-group.
    • Change the captive portal pages to include logos and wording specific to each site.

Everything across the sites should be much the same (ssid, vlan), however they will be served up with a different page.

It's a bit of work, but hopefully you get the idea.

• 3.  RE: Multiple captive portal pages on one SSID

Posted Jun 19, 2014 02:07 PM

Thanks for the amazingly fast response. I'd forgotten about the limitation of captive portal profiles. So, given 30+ sites, it sounds like it would be better to just create new SSID's for each site. Yes? And thanks for taking the time to spell out the instructions in your response. That is very helpful for those of us struggling.

• 4.  RE: Multiple captive portal pages on one SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 19, 2014 03:51 PM

My suggestion was based on same ssid with different portal for each site. 

If you need 30+ different potals, consider Clearpass where there is no limit to the number of portal pages you can create.  It has a lot more features than the inbuilt potal on the controllers as well.

• 5.  RE: Multiple captive portal pages on one SSID

Posted Oct 27, 2017 10:47 AM

Hi michael,

i know is a bit different, but please can you tell me if i can create captive portal for each differents SSID.

i mean for 2 SSID 2 captive portals ?

Thanks for your answer.