Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

NT STATUS CONNECTION RESET Clearpass

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  NT STATUS CONNECTION RESET Clearpass

Posted Sep 10, 2014 11:53 AM

We have been trying to reconnect our ClearPass server to our AD but we keep getting the same issue. We called TAC but they are stumped as well. Our username and password for the domain are correct, we were able to disconnect the ClearPass server from the AD. Has anyone else come across this issue?

here are a couple of screen captures

error 1.PNG

error2.PNG

• 2.  RE: NT STATUS CONNECTION RESET Clearpass
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 10, 2014 07:47 PM

Can you do an "network nslookup -q host" to that domain? from ClearPass CLI

Also is your  clock set correctly ?

• 3.  RE: NT STATUS CONNECTION RESET Clearpass

Posted Dec 01, 2014 03:15 PM
     I have the same problem, but I failed to link it to AD; you could fix.

Fredy Gualdron

• 4.  RE: NT STATUS CONNECTION RESET Clearpass

Posted Dec 20, 2014 10:29 AM

if you have the exact same problem fgualdron, then answer the questions posted above you.

also for mmurphy, is this solved for you?

• 5.  RE: NT STATUS CONNECTION RESET Clearpass

Posted Apr 22, 2015 11:34 AM

I'm also having the same problem joining Clearpass to the domain.

ClearPass Policy Manager 6.5.1.72346 on CP-VA-25K platform

The domain controller is the primary DNS server.

The clock is set to NTP using the domain controller as the NTP server.  Double-checked and the time between the two is spot on.

NSlookup does return the domain controller:

[appadmin@cppm01]# network nslookup -q host dc01.local.customer.ca
    unknown query type: HOST
    Server: 10.10.10.3
    Address: 10.10.10.3#53

Name: dc01.local.customer.ca
    Address: 10.10.10.3

We are using a Domain Admin account.   But no matter what we try, the results are the same:

Adding host to AD domain...
    INFO - Fetched REALM 'LOCAL.CUSTOMER.CA' from domain FQDN
    'dc01.local.customer.ca'
    INFO - Fetched the NETBIOS name 'CC'
    INFO - Creating domain directories for 'CC'
    Enter da1's password:
    Failed to join domain: failed to lookup DC info for domain
    'LOCAL.CUSTOMER.CA' over rpc: NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_RESET
    INFO - Restoring smb configuration
    INFO - Restoring krb5 configuration file
    INFO - Deleting domain directories for 'CC'
    ERROR - cppm01 failed to join the domain LOCAL.CUSTOMER.CA
    with domain controller as dc01.local.customer.ca
    Join domain failed

The only thing I can't do is use the default "Administrator" account because they have renamed it on their domain.

• 6.  RE: NT STATUS CONNECTION RESET Clearpass

Posted Apr 23, 2015 03:22 PM

[edit] please start a new thread for a new question.

no direct experience with this error, but if i google for that specific error is see several times solutions like this come up

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-server-73/connecting-samba-to-a-windows-2012r2-domain-4175485746/

https://bugs.pcbsd.org/issues/8359

you could have a look at those. also making a packet capture during the join and looking if there are better hints there might help.

• 7.  RE: NT STATUS CONNECTION RESET Clearpass

Posted Apr 23, 2015 08:35 PM

Thanks for the reply.  I did see that Samba article and forwarded it to the customer, but they are completely opposed to modifying AD.  Their opinion is that too many things depend on AD that they can't risk causing issues.

I would have hoped that Aruba would have tested Clearpass on AD 2012 before releasing it to the wild.  I have a case open with TAC so hopefully they will come up with a solution.

• 8.  RE: NT STATUS CONNECTION RESET Clearpass

Posted Apr 24, 2015 01:17 PM

More digging with TAC confirms that Clearpass 6.5.x is running SMB version 3.6.2.x, so the above links about enabling SMB v. 1 on the domain won't work anyway.  Important for anyone else out there who may try it as a possible solution.

• 9.  RE: NT STATUS CONNECTION RESET Clearpass

Posted Apr 25, 2015 07:48 AM

ok that is good to know, will prevent people from trying something that doesn't work.

i would then fallback to making a packet capture and seeing if you can find more information there. pehaps the server sends something with that message that point to a cause.

• 10.  RE: NT STATUS CONNECTION RESET Clearpass

Posted May 02, 2015 08:31 AM

Microsoft support came through with a Registry fix which when applied, enabled the unit to be joined to the domain, with a compromise though.
    Their testing identified that the system is using SMB1 (in contradiction with what Aruba TAC told us) to communicate to the Domain Controller, and this registry setting lowers our domain security a bit by allowing this.

It does require a server reboot on the DC. Any communication coming from the ClearPass unit, which is using SMB1, hitting the other 3 DC’s will fail. The default domain controller policy for Network Security is still set to Send NTLMv2 response only. Refuse LM.

This is the Reg Key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\DependOnService

Original Value: SamSS Srv2
    Change to : SamSS Srv2 Srv

(where Srv2=SMB2 and Srv=SMB1)

The customer is asking Aruba to change Clearpass to use SMB2 because they aren't happy about lowering the domain security. SMB1 is +10yrs old.

• 11.  RE: NT STATUS CONNECTION RESET Clearpass

Posted May 03, 2015 05:26 AM

i assume you did mention this to TAC?

i believe the domain joining is a one time action, it is mentioned you can disable / delete the user you use afterwards. so you could try to restore your AD settings again to higher and check if everything remains working.

• 12.  RE: NT STATUS CONNECTION RESET Clearpass

Posted May 05, 2015 11:53 AM

TAC has been updated, yes.

It looks like SMBv1 is required.  We tested this by making the registry change to only 1 DC.

We tested PEAP-MSCHAP authentication with that DC online.  Authentication succeeds.

Then we tested PEAP-MSCHAP authentication with that DC offline.  Authentication fails, with the following error in Access Tracker:  ERROR RadiusServer.Radius - rlm_mschap: AD status:No logon servers (0xc000005e)

This tells me that Clearpass uses SMBv1 for both joining the AD domain, and for MSCHAP authentication.   The customer is requesting whether Clearpass can be configured to use SMB2… SMB1 is +10yrs old.  Hopefully TAC will get some action on this.

• 13.  RE: NT STATUS CONNECTION RESET Clearpass

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 05, 2015 11:56 AM
    Did you submit an rfe on the idea portal?

Thanks,
    Tim

• 14.  RE: NT STATUS CONNECTION RESET Clearpass

Posted Jan 26, 2017 12:23 PM

Has support for SMBv2 been added in Clearpass? We are experiencing this issue with DCs on Windows 2012 Server.

• 15.  RE: NT STATUS CONNECTION RESET Clearpass

Posted Jan 29, 2017 09:00 AM

as suggested submit a RFE and post back for others to add their vote to it.

also a new thread with a better subject will probably make it easier to find this again.

• 16.  RE: NT STATUS CONNECTION RESET Clearpass

• 17.  RE: NT STATUS CONNECTION RESET Clearpass

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2017 04:51 PM

Update: SMBv2 and SMBv3 support is available via a hotfix for ClearPass 6.6.7

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Security/ClearPass-Release-Announcements/m-p/303234#M32873