Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Name of Match AP that detects an interferer.

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Name of Match AP that detects an interferer.

Posted Sep 06, 2018 11:47 AM

I have a situation in a client, where the names of APs that detected an interfering AP are not displayed. The most interesting is that if you select Rogue APs or Suspect Rogues the information is displayed.

I opened a ticket with HP and they guided me in two ways:

- run the CLI commands:
        #show wms ap list
        #show ap database long

or

- open an RFE with our Sales Engineer.

My sincere opinion is that it seems like a Bug, something simple to solve instead of having to request a product improvement.

I would like your community opinion.

* Attached two pictures that exhibit the problem.

• 2.  RE: Name of Match AP that detects an interferer.
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 13, 2018 08:29 AM

Someone?

• 3.  RE: Name of Match AP that detects an interferer.

Posted Sep 16, 2018 11:56 PM

the correct CLI commands to display the detector/match info are as follows

(7005) #
    (7005) #show wms ap 18:64:72:xx:xx:xx

AP Info
    -------
    BSSID              SSID        Channel  Type        RAP_Type  Status  Ageout  HT-Type   HT-Sec-Chan
    -----              ----        -------  ----        --------  ------  ------  -------   -----------
    18:64:72:xx:xx:xx  wifizzz  149      generic-ap  rogue     up      0       HT-40mhz  153

Match Info
    -----------
    Match-Type        Match-Method  Match-MAC          Match-AP
    ----------        ------------  ---------          --------
    Eth-GW-Wired-Mac  Exact-Match   00:0b:86:xx:xx:xx  apZZZ
    Probe Info
    ----------
    MAC                IP            Name   Type         Status  AP Type
    ---                --            ----   ----         ------  -------
    80:8d:b7:xx:xx:xx  192.168.x.xx  apZZZ  air-monitor  up      315

(7005) #
    (7005) #
    (7005) #show wms rogue-ap 18:64:72:xx:xx:xx

Rogue AP Info
    -------------
    Key           Value
    ---           -----
    BSSID         18:64:72:xx:xx:xx
    SSID          wifizzz
    Channel       149
    Type          generic-ap
    RAP Type      rogue
    Status        up
    Match Type    Eth-GW-Wired-Mac
    Match MAC     00:0b:86:xx:xx:xx
    Match IP      0.0.0.0
    Match AM      apZZZ
    Match Method  Exact-Match
    Match Time    Fri Aug 31 21:34:21 2018

Match caused by Gateway MAC 00:0b:86:xx:xx:xx seen by (AP name or Controller):apZZZ

(7005) #

The info is available in the webui although it's not so intuiative to find it, example of how to do it in the attached images

hth

• 4.  RE: Name of Match AP that detects an interferer.

Posted Sep 17, 2018 02:58 AM
      |   view attached

Hi hth,

Thanks for the information received, always good to know new commands and other routes via graphical interface.

I did tests and unfortunately for Interferentes the information is not displayed.
    For rogue and suspect rogues yes, but for interferers always displays: unknown.

Attached is an image that demonstrates the result.

• 5.  RE: Name of Match AP that detects an interferer.

Posted Sep 17, 2018 03:25 AM

hi mTonini,

I see your point, I don't know it's a bug so much as it is intentional, because an interfering AP is simply something that is heard near by, detected by APs and or AMs (described as probes in the CLI), but not yet "classified" as rogue/suspect-rogue.

In show wms ap <> you can see multiple APs/AMs may have detected the AP, but only one device will have made the decision to classify it as rogue/suspect rogue as per "show wms rogue-ap <>" (which is what is 'classification details' in the webUI). Similarly the CLI command "show wms rogue-ap <>" cannot be run for anything that is not rogue or suspect rogue, the webUI simply runs CLI commands hence the lack of result for this section of the webUI.

Perhaps the webUI should have said "not yet classified" rather than "unknown", or, classification details should be hidden for something that is not classified yet (e.g. not a rogue/suspect-rogue)

-jeff

• 6.  RE: Name of Match AP that detects an interferer.

Posted Sep 17, 2018 07:39 AM

Hi Jeff,

Very grateful for the return.
    I agree with you on all items.

The client's desire is only to be able to verify which AP detected an interferent through the graphical interface.

Information that can be obtained with the commands:
         #show wms ap list
         #show ap database long

We request to our HP reference the possibility of being visible this information.

Very grateful for the help.
    Best Regards.

• 7.  RE: Name of Match AP that detects an interferer.

Posted Sep 17, 2018 09:16 AM
      |   view attached

hi mTonini

Does clicking on hyperlink total number interfering APs in Security, in the top panel named "Discovered APs & Clients" give you what you want (you can also click on the hyperlink of "Total" then choose filter in the "AP Classification" column in the table below). As mentioned there is nothing to show for classification in the right hand side, because it's not yet classified.

For what it's worth, show ap database long has nothing to do with WMS, if you want that go to Monitoring -> Network -> All Acccess Points. Also interfering from WMS perspective does not imply interfering from an RF perspective.

-jeff

• 8.  RE: Name of Match AP that detects an interferer.

Posted Sep 20, 2018 10:47 AM

hi Jeff

[ Does clicking on hyperlink total number interfering APs in Security, in the top panel named "Discovered APs & Clients" .....]

R: This course is okay, I have it available and that's where I do the verifications.

[ For what it's worth, show ap database long has nothing to do with WMS, if you want that go to Monitoring -> Network -> All Acccess Points. Also interfering from WMS perspective does not imply interfering from an RF perspective.]

Q: I do not have the Monitoring option in the ArubaOS menu. In this client we are using version 8.3.0.1 in a Virtual Mobility Controller. (with PEF and RF-Protect licenses)

Best regards

Saluti

• 9.  RE: Name of Match AP that detects an interferer.

Posted Sep 20, 2018 11:08 AM

hi mTonini

to your original question:

"The client's desire is only to be able to verify which AP detected an interferent through the graphical interface."

and then your latest response

"R: This course is okay, I have it available and that's where I do the verifications."

I am not sure what the issue is then ? Interfering APs dont have a classification AP because they are not classified, there is nothing to display (as the webUI only will show the classification info on the right hand side)

Indeed there is no way to show the APs which have heard the intefering (or any other AP), that has been the case for a long time - you need to go to the CLI or use the API etc.

If you want to somehow show the "probes" (the detecting APs) as seen in the CLI command "show wms ap <bssid>" then that would be a feature request of some sort (raise on Innovation Zone portal).

To your comment

"Q: I do not have the Monitoring option in the ArubaOS menu. In this client we are using version 8.3.0.1 in a Virtual Mobility Controller. (with PEF and RF-Protect licenses)"

R: my only point was that show ap database is nothing to do with the WMS results (interfering, rogue etc. etc.). I accidentally quoted release 6 navigation, the equivalent for release 8 is Dashboard -> Access Points and then edit the columns to add more info (but I note that serial number cannot be added, that's a minor issue it seems).

regards

-jeff

• 10.  RE: Name of Match AP that detects an interferer.

Posted Sep 20, 2018 11:26 AM

In fact the question continues, to visualize an AP that detected an interferente only through the CLI. We asked our HP referral for an improvement and now we have to wait.

I was only justifying that he had already tried the options he commented through the Security panel.

Regarding the menu Monitoring I decided to ask because I did not know if it had been withdrawn or another possibility.

Thank you for the information and for the kindness.
    Best Regards