Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Named netdestinations on 3200xm

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Named netdestinations on 3200xm

Posted Mar 03, 2015 08:56 AM

I am looking into why a client is unable to access a resource on one controller that he is able to access on a different local controller.  I verified that he has the same role on both controllers.  I monitored his session on both controllers and am seeing him get denied on one of them.  The firewall policy that should allow him access includes a netdestination with named entries.  Both controllers have DNS servers specified and include "ip domain lookup".  Both controllers can ping the named entry in the netdestination.  The only difference I can see is one controller is a 3600 and the other a 3200XM.

It appears as though the 3200XM isn't working with named entries in netdestinations.  I am working up a test today to confirm this is the case, but wanted to throw it out there to see if anyone has seen this before.  And to confirm, only a DNS server and "ip domain lookup" are required for named entries, right?

• 2.  RE: Named netdestinations on 3200xm

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 03, 2015 08:58 AM

You should also be able to ping a dns name from the commandline of the controller to test if dns resolution is working.

• 3.  RE: Named netdestinations on 3200xm

Posted Mar 03, 2015 08:59 AM

Yep, that works.

• 4.  RE: Named netdestinations on 3200xm

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 03, 2015 09:00 AM

Why don't you have the client reach the resource via ip address, so you can rule out name resolution, then?  If the client still cannot reach it, it is not name resolution, right?

• 5.  RE: Named netdestinations on 3200xm

Posted Mar 03, 2015 09:10 AM
    Yeah, that's what I'm testing later today. I just thought I'd get some
    feedback from others in case this was a known issue or limitation.

• 6.  RE: Named netdestinations on 3200xm

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 03, 2015 09:13 AM

No limitation or obvious bugs.

Please check "show firewall dns-names" to see how that address is being resolved to see if the fqdn is being resolved to the same address on both platforms.  

• 7.  RE: Named netdestinations on 3200xm

Posted Mar 03, 2015 10:05 AM

Okay, cool.  I was looking for a command like that.  Thanks!

• 8.  RE: Named netdestinations on 3200xm

Posted Mar 03, 2015 10:10 AM

When I use that command, about half of the DNS names resolved.  Should all of them have resolved?

• 9.  RE: Named netdestinations on 3200xm

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 03, 2015 11:35 AM
    It should show up there after you attempt a resolution. The others could have aged out.

• 10.  RE: Named netdestinations on 3200xm

Posted Mar 03, 2015 11:48 AM

Ah okay.  I assumed they'd always be populated/fresh so they'd be immediately available when a netdestination is called upon by a firewall policy.