Wireless Access

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Need some information about the Use IP address for calling station ID

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Need some information about the Use IP address for calling station ID

Posted Jan 27, 2014 07:17 PM

What is the "Use ip address for calling station ID" on the server group > Radius server > "create a server" does? I could not find any information on the user guide... Please someone help me in understanding this option..

• 2.  RE: Need some information about the Use IP address for calling station ID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 27, 2014 07:58 PM

Some radius servers want to see the the ip address as the calling station ID.  This offers the option to send it.  It is not a standard setup and not used often.

• 3.  RE: Need some information about the Use IP address for calling station ID

Posted Jan 27, 2014 08:04 PM

2014-01-27 20_00_56-d1x3hnhct7p62q.cloudfront.net_SupportSite_ProductionFiles_0f3059cf-ba85-4a55-af7.png

• 4.  RE: Need some information about the Use IP address for calling station ID

Posted Jan 28, 2014 11:32 AM

Thank you for the answer..

Is there any debug commands we can run on the controller to check whether the controller sending the option with ipaddress instead of client mac? 

• 5.  RE: Need some information about the Use IP address for calling station ID

Posted Jan 28, 2014 01:15 PM

If you turn on "logging level debugging security process authmgr"

(HOME-MASTER-CONTROLLER) #show log security all | include Calling
    Jan 27 08:53:06 :121031: <DBUG> |authmgr| |aaa| [rc_rfc3576.c:95] Calling-Station-Id: <mac or ip address>

• 6.  RE: Need some information about the Use IP address for calling station ID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 28, 2014 02:29 PM

Prasad,

You should be able to see the "calling station ID" on the radius server clearly.

• 7.  RE: Need some information about the Use IP address for calling station ID

Posted Feb 12, 2014 01:42 PM

I have tested however not able to see the calling station ID on the logs.

Could you please clarify: 

I understand that the 802.1x is a layer 2 authentication. When the client will send the calling station ID with the ip-address? The calling-station id will be sent at the time of authentication or it will be sent after the authentication? 

Could you please explain me the process briefly. 

Thank you in advance. 

• 8.  RE: Need some information about the Use IP address for calling station ID

Posted Feb 12, 2014 04:45 PM

Although I haven't used this I'm going to hazard a guess...

If you're using dot1x, the calling station couldn't be the IP, as layer3 wouldn't be established. It would have to be the MAC.

And if you don't see it on the server, I'm guessing it's rather the server isn't interpreting it, rather than the controller not sending it?

• 9.  RE: Need some information about the Use IP address for calling station ID

Posted Feb 12, 2014 07:32 PM

We did a packet capture at the controller end and we do not see the calling station id with ip address. We assigned a static ip address on the client and tested it.

controller running 6.2.1.4

• 10.  RE: Need some information about the Use IP address for calling station ID
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 12, 2014 08:38 PM

The feature is ONLY for Captive Portal authentication, and NOT 802.1x, where you do not get an ip address until AFTER authentication.