Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Need to reset regulatory-domain after ArubaOS upgrade to get new channels?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Need to reset regulatory-domain after ArubaOS upgrade to get new channels?

Posted Mar 12, 2014 02:25 PM

Hello,

Background: I was trying to set up some access points to exclude certain dot11a/5GHz channels used by the local government CCTV system yesterday by cloning "ap regulatory-domain-profile default" and removing the unwanted channels, but this didn't work.  It turned out the reason was the default profile didn't have any valid 40MHz or 80MHz channels in it - I assume that because none were present, the system was falling back on the default ones for our local (GB = United Kingdom) country.  This was fixed by resetting the list of valid channels in the default  (by changing the country code to something else and then back to GB) and then cloning a copy from it again and removing them.

However, my question is why this happened and what the recommended action is -- my suspicion is that this profile has been the one we originally got when we first set up the sytem in pre-802.11n and ArubaOS 3.x days.  We're now running 6.3 and there are new things available in there.

Does ArubaOS upgrade the default regulatory domain profile automatically?  (I assume not.)

If not, is it recommended that the default profile is reset in the manner I've described (changing the country code to something else and back - just setting it to the same thing doesn't do anything) to update it, if things change?

Excuse me if I've missed that in the release notes somewhere!

Thanks,

- Bob

• 2.  RE: Need to reset regulatory-domain after ArubaOS upgrade to get new channels?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 12, 2014 04:56 PM

It does NOT rewrite or update the default regulatory domain profile if it was modified, no.  If you create a new regulatory domain profile with your country, it should create it with the new channels, etc.

• 3.  RE: Need to reset regulatory-domain after ArubaOS upgrade to get new channels?

Posted Mar 14, 2014 10:54 AM

I don't think we ever modified the default regulatory domain profile - I think it just got created when we first set the system up with 3.x and we've never touched it since.

When you say "if it was modified" does that mean that an upgrade should change it, as required, if it appears to be in the default state?  In our case, that appears not to have happened.

[I don't normally modify the "default" profiles but prefer to create new ones and customise those - there are cases where this is not possible (such as the default group when auto provisioning) but the regulatory domain isn't one,)