Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

New APs not gettting an IP address

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  New APs not gettting an IP address

Posted Jan 25, 2015 01:10 PM

Hi,

We are trying to install several new AP-103s and 93s but our 3600 master controller isn't seeing the new APs. When we check our DHCP server they do show up there with the correct IPs there. We think this issue could be from a few months ago but we put it down to the incompiability of our ArubaOS at the time. The exisitng ones are working fine and we have plentty of licences. We are now on 6.4.2.2 from 6.3.1.8. We don't have any Aruba person in house so any suggestions will have to be somewhat simplified :)  Thanks in advance.

John.

;0

• 2.  RE: New APs not gettting an IP address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 25, 2015 01:13 PM
    Do you have either DHCP option 43 or the aruba-master dns name configured? 

Thanks, 
    Tim

• 3.  RE: New APs not gettting an IP address

Posted Jan 26, 2015 04:36 AM

Hi guys,

Thank you for your suggestions. We have a DNS enrty for aruba-master and it does resolve the correct IP. We wouldn't have touched our switches or DHCP server since the controllers were put in. So whatever is set on them hasn't changed. As for them being IAPs, I've tried to install a re-setted 93 that was working but it doesn't show up but it gets an IP. Could it be some strange firewall issue? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• 4.  RE: New APs not gettting an IP address

Posted Jan 26, 2015 04:47 AM
    Can you please run show log system and see if it shows any errors indicating why the APs can join , also check the boot process through the AP console

• 5.  RE: New APs not gettting an IP address

Posted Jan 26, 2015 05:10 AM

Hi Tim,

When I type "enable" after SSHing into the controller, it looks for another password, one we don't have by the looks of it. I see that under "wizards" I can set the password, but I don't want to do that in case it makes things worse. Is it just a matter of changing it there?

• 6.  RE: New APs not gettting an IP address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 26, 2015 05:23 AM

JFTS,

If this is important you should try calling TAC, because you have some fundamental issues and if we guess wrong here, it could ruin your network.

• 7.  RE: New APs not gettting an IP address

Posted Jan 29, 2015 04:45 AM

Hi,

The solution was "easy" once we had eliminated any DNS/DHCP issues. We hadn't set the default gateway on the DHCP scope for those IPs. I can only presume the aruba-master DNS enrty/requirement came with some upgrade last year as we didn't have any DG set on that scope before. Anyway, all is working fine now. Many thanks for your input.

• 8.  RE: New APs not gettting an IP address
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 29, 2015 05:40 AM

Hi,

You can bypass the enable password by running " (config) # enable bypass "

Hope you will get rid off enable password :)

• 9.  RE: New APs not gettting an IP address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 25, 2015 01:21 PM

JFTS,

Are you sure that you don't have IAP-93s or IAP-103s?

IAPs would have to be converted first  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/How-to-convert-a-whole-IAP-cluster-as-Campus-APs/ta-p/215053