Wireless Access

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

New Alerts after upgrade to 7.4.5

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  New Alerts after upgrade to 7.4.5

Posted Dec 28, 2011 11:49 AM

After upgrading to AMP 7.4.5 I'm receiving  Device Event Alerts stating "SNMP Trap Category is Hardware or SNMP Trap Category is Software".

The severity is "Normal" and all of the alerts are referring to the APs and I"ve searched here and the KBs but I'm still not sure where to look to correct this. :smileyembarrassed:

• 2.  RE: New Alerts after upgrade to 7.4.5
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 28, 2011 08:52 PM

Not sure what version you were upgrading from, but a default trigger was added in 7.4 I believe (may have been 7.3) that alerts whenever a trap is received from the controller that matched the Category of Hardware or Software.  I believe it was done so that traps that were being received by Airwave already were not hidden and instead were displayed as alerts by default, otherwise you would've had to set this up manually.  Unfortunately this change was an all or nothing from a default configuration perspective, either no visibility without setting up a trigger or all visibility by default and then you need to trim it down.  In any case, if you care what the alerts are, you can goto the Alerts section in Airwave and scroll to the right to each event and see what the details state about the trap, it should be pretty descriptive about why the trap is coming in from the controller and maybe there is a real problem there that needs to be fixed.  If it is stuff that you do not care about, you can go edit the triggers, get rid of the default one that looks like this:

Device EventSNMP Trap Category is Hardware or SNMP Trap Category is Software

And add ones in that you specifically care about, instead of all.  BTW, an additional default was added to Airwave for Critical syslog messages in case you have syslogs being sent from the controllers to Airwave.

Also, if you look at the User Guide under Home>Documentation, check out the section entitled "Setting Triggers for Devices", it discusses these two new triggers and how to fine tune this.

Regards, 

Austin

• 3.  RE: New Alerts after upgrade to 7.4.5

Posted Dec 29, 2011 09:28 AM

Thanks Austin for confirming that this is truly "Normal". :smileywink:

I did find the trigger ahead of time but I didn't know it was added to the update and thought that something got broke to trigger it.

FYI, the User Guide just mentions the trigger, it doesn't give much details about it and the settings.