Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

New Implementation of VMC, Airwave and Clearpass Guest

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  New Implementation of VMC, Airwave and Clearpass Guest

Posted Apr 21, 2018 06:56 AM

Hi Team,

I am trying to implement a mix and match of almost all aruba products like Aruba VMC,Airwave and Clearpass for Guest. I have 25 AP's which I am going to connect with VMC adding licenses. But What can we do If I am having airwave also in this scenario.Also If I am having Airwave,Is it the way that we need to add just the VMC to the airwave for managing / monitor purposes. I am going to use Clearpass just for Guest. So please help me that how the process will flow and how they will communicate. I only need just one corporate SSID and Guest SSID but only guest ssid to be implemented with self registration in clearpass. Please help me to implement the scenario as I am having all the valid licenses.

• 2.  RE: New Implementation of VMC, Airwave and Clearpass Guest

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 21, 2018 08:29 AM
    If you are pressed for time, I suggest you get in touch with a partner to do the installation.

So that I can answer correctly, what is your experience with Aruba products?

• 3.  RE: New Implementation of VMC, Airwave and Clearpass Guest

Posted Apr 21, 2018 08:46 AM
    I am into Aruba but doing this scenario first time. What I think is that to add the AP's into Vmc for managing then to add that Vmc module to airwave for monitoring. Then will add those device into clearpass and will implement a self registration portal.Please correct me if I am wrong.

I just need the flow how to do it.

• 4.  RE: New Implementation of VMC, Airwave and Clearpass Guest

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 21, 2018 10:08 AM

Airwave is mainly for historical monitoring.  It can optionally be used for configuration.  It can be added to the solution at any time.

For basic WLAN, you would need the VMC to terminate the access points.  If you want to do advanced guest functions (guest registration) or 802.1x based on active directory, that is when you would need to introduce ClearPass.

• 5.  RE: New Implementation of VMC, Airwave and Clearpass Guest

Posted Apr 21, 2018 10:36 AM
    Hi Colin,

What I am thinking is just to add AP with VMC first then to put the same
    into airwave then to add clearpass for guest self registration. Will it
    work? Also only guest ssid should get managed by clearpass rest will be the
    corporate one which will be managed by controller. So are you able to give
    me an input or steps for doing it.

Also I am having a query we have a hardware controller which is old is
    getting replaced with VMC but configuration will be same so if am pushing
    the back up from hardware controller to the VMC, and putting the licenses,
    hope it will work. Please confirm.

• 6.  RE: New Implementation of VMC, Airwave and Clearpass Guest

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 21, 2018 08:46 PM

What you mentioned will work.

With regards to steps, you should do a search for "technical" and "8.x" on the forum for webinars that show you how to do things step by step, because it can be pretty involved even if you have not looked at the documentation.

If you have a hardware controller on 6.x and you are migrating to 8.x the configuration will be entirely different.  You cannot upgrade directly from 6.x to 8.x.

• 7.  RE: New Implementation of VMC, Airwave and Clearpass Guest

Posted Apr 22, 2018 03:20 AM
    Hii Colin,

Please share those links to check the steps and do it accordingly. SO let
    me know what you suggest apart. Not to push the back up from 6.x to 8.x and
    you want me to reconfigure it back.Because we are just replacing the entire
    hardware even AP from 205 to 315.

Thanks & Regards

[image: photo]

*Jito Joseph*
    Network Engineer, New Era Informatique Private Limited

Tel : 022 61046672 | Mob : 7021853913 | Email : jito@newera-technologies.com
    | Website : www.newera-technologies.com

• 8.  RE: New Implementation of VMC, Airwave and Clearpass Guest

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 22, 2018 07:09 AM

Please start here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_82_Web_Help/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/Preface/WhatsNew.htm%3FTocPath%3DArubaOS%2520User%2520Guide%7CAbout%2520this%2520Guide%7C_____1

EDIT:

Above is the link to the 8.2.x documentation.  It is almost a complete rewrite of 6.x and the configuration paradigm is different.  The documentation is completely searchable for anything that you want to do.  The best way to do things is to start out with what's new and understand how everything is configured in the new system.  Start by installing a new MM or Hardware controller and take fundamental steps and understand the consequences of those steps.  The questions that you are asking are fairly straightforward, but the things you need to do before that like installing a VM with the correct options, licensing your MM correctly, are necessary for a successful deployment and should be done first.    Please take a look at the page with 8.x tutorial webinars here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Training-Certification-Career/EMEA-Airheads-On-Demand-Tech-Webinars/td-p/271911 for anything that you are interested in.

If you are replacing the hardware, you would have to start configuring from scratch.

Please also see the migration guide here;  https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Command/Core_Download/Default.aspx?EntryId=29535