Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

New SSID for one AP only

This thread has been viewed 26 times
  • 1.  New SSID for one AP only

MVP
    Posted Apr 14, 2015 12:20 PM

Hi,

I'm attempting to assign a specific SSID to a specific AP. I don't want the SSID to show on any of our APs except for one.

I've created a new AP group, the SSID, and virutal AP. After provisioning the AP in the new AP group, everything looks okay except the SSID doesn't show up as an option. I checked and the virtual AP profile and SSID are both enabled.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: New SSID for one AP only

Posted Apr 14, 2015 12:51 PM
    If you go to the AP CONFIGURATION >AP SPECIFIC
    Then select the AP you want configure the SSID from the list if the AP is up and running

• 3.  RE: New SSID for one AP only

MVP
    Posted Apr 14, 2015 01:28 PM

Thanks for the reply but I want to do it with an AP group in case I want to add any additional APs with this SSID.

• 4.  RE: New SSID for one AP only

Posted Apr 14, 2015 01:43 PM

The AP specific is the only way you can accomplish this

• 5.  RE: New SSID for one AP only

Posted Apr 14, 2015 02:28 PM

HI Victor.

The requirement is to broadcast an extra SSID along with other SSIDs in a specific AP. so why can't we achive this by creating a new AP-group ? ,we can inherit all the VAPs and create an extra VAP and provision the AP-Group to that specific AP. make sense ?

• 6.  RE: New SSID for one AP only

Posted Apr 14, 2015 02:31 PM

Yeah that's the way AP Specific works, but I think he wants to add it to the AP Group and then do the exclusion from there

• 7.  RE: New SSID for one AP only

Posted Apr 15, 2015 05:19 AM

Sounds more appropriate to me to have a new AP group as he mentioned the possibility of adding more APs.... in my opinion anyway. :)

• 8.  RE: New SSID for one AP only
    Best Answer

MVP
    Posted Apr 15, 2015 06:52 AM
    Thank you everyone for the feedback. After contacting Aruba support, it turns out there’s nothing wrong with the config at all. We just purchased an Aruba AP-275 outdoor unit with the purpose of configuring one, new, SSID only for an event coming up in May. We didn’t realize that the AP-275 models require POE+ on the edge switch to provide enough power. It’s interesting because the unit powers on and we’re able to configure it but there’s not enough power for the radios to turn on, thus the new SSID wouldn’t show up. I wish the controller would alert you in this case but it does not. It doesn’t even provide any flags indicating power issues. As a short term fix, we’ll try to use a POE+ power injector. That should do the trick.

Again, thanks for all of your help.

• 9.  RE: New SSID for one AP only

Posted Apr 14, 2015 01:32 PM

HI,

This can be achieved in two different ways,

1. Create a new SSID profile and map to a new VAP profile along with a AAA profile, create a new AP-Group and map the VAP profile to it ( If you want you can add other VAP profiles from the existing AP-Group). now select AP Installation and select the specific AP which you want to have this and provision with this new AP-Group

2. Select Configuration-->AP specific-->create a new VAP along with the existing VAPs or exclude any from existing VAPs , that's all

Second method is more handy method,

For your ref :

AP_specific.png

Please feel free for any further clarity on this.

• 10.  RE: New SSID for one AP only

Posted May 14, 2018 04:40 AM
      |   view attached

Hi 

• 11.  RE: New SSID for one AP only

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 14, 2018 04:49 AM

There is no error message in your screenshot.  What is your problem?

You are answering a 3 year old thread.