Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

New to Aruba equipment. Need pointers on where to start.

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  New to Aruba equipment. Need pointers on where to start.

Posted Aug 05, 2014 02:17 AM

Hi people,

I'm an IT engineer new to Aruba equipment. I'm going to upgrade our office's old wireless equipment (Cisco APs for the internal VLAN, generic APs for the guest VLAN) with an Aruba 650 controller + five AP-225 APs.

The ArubaOS 6.4.1 is overwhelming (1000+ pages), so I would appreciate if someone could point me to a more manageable quickstart guide or tutorial.

What I want to achieve is:

- Aruba 650 controller in server room, plugged to both corporate and guest VLANs

- User authentication against local RADIUS / WPA2 Enterprise

- Each of the APs serving both the corporate and guest VLANs, keeping clients in each VLAN isolated from the others

Thanks in advance,

• 2.  RE: New to Aruba equipment. Need pointers on where to start.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 05, 2014 07:12 AM
    Did you already purchase the 650? If not, I would suggest going with one of the newer controllers like a 7005 or 7010. You will not be able to use many of the new features in 6.4 on the legacy 650 controller. The price point on the 7000 series is very low.

Honestly the easiest way to get things set up is to use the wizard.

You'll need to connect via console and set up the initial IP. Once it reboots and you can reach it, open the web UI and on the configuration tab, use the wizards at the top left. They do a great job.

• 3.  RE: New to Aruba equipment. Need pointers on where to start.

Posted Aug 11, 2014 11:44 PM

I'm in a simliar scenario. I was looking at the 620/650, but they don't support Airgroup or the new firewall dashboards. Can anyone confirm whether the 7005 does? Is it more robust in terms of CPU & Memory? I haven't been able to find any documentation that confirms.

• 4.  RE: New to Aruba equipment. Need pointers on where to start.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 11, 2014 11:55 PM
    Yes, the 7000s are the replacements and support all next-gen features.

• 5.  RE: New to Aruba equipment. Need pointers on where to start.

Posted Aug 12, 2014 09:06 AM
    to continue on Tim's point, here are list prices for the 7000 series

7005-RW: $1,495
    7010-RW: $3,995
    7030-RW: $6,995

A 650 costs $2,345.