Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

No Internet - Aruba DNS or Something Else...?

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  No Internet - Aruba DNS or Something Else...?

Posted Sep 20, 2013 02:39 PM

Hello all!

This is my first post so please be gentle. I am trying to narrow down an issue I am having with some wireless devices on my network. 

The issue:

Several wireless devices (all Windows 7) will be connected to the wifi, get an ip, can ping other devices on the network but cannot access the internet. Some can ping Google.com and other sites but cannot pull them up in a browser. The only common deliminator is a yellow exclamination mark that is on the wireless notification area and says "No internet". 

Things I've tried:

I have restarted the entire Aruba system (3400 controller v.6.1.3.3) and that cleared up the issue once, but it has returned.

I have tried flushing DNS cache locally, clearing arp tables, manually adding local dns, checking proxy settings, remove from domain, join back to domain.

I can change local DNS on client to 8.8.8.8 (google's dns) the yellow exclamation goes away and it says it is connected to the internet and I can ping but I cannot browse anything.

I think this is a DNS issue but I don't know if it is something within Aruba's DNS settings or our Windows domain DNS settings. I am leaning towards Aruba only because this only happens on wireless devices, not on wired connections.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: No Internet - Aruba DNS or Something Else...?

Posted Sep 20, 2013 02:54 PM

A couple of things you could do:

- Check the show datapatch session table <device IP address> to see if there's anything block

- show rights <user role>

- Can you see the device in the user-table ?

- What has changed  in your environment recently ?

- You should consider looking at a more recent AOS too ?

- Recommend opening a case with Aruba TAC

• 3.  RE: No Internet - Aruba DNS or Something Else...?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 21, 2013 12:14 PM

How is the SSID configured? Are you doing 802.1X authentication on the SSID, pre-shared key, WEP, or open? 

Victor had excellent ideas as well, and I would start by validating that the connected users are assigned the role you would expect, on the appropriate VLAN, etc.

• 4.  RE: No Internet - Aruba DNS or Something Else...?

Posted Sep 23, 2013 10:12 AM

Checking the client on the controller was a great idea. Once I found the client in the list I noticed it's authentication role was set to AP-Role instead of saying Authenticated like all of the other clients. I disconnected it through the controller and it connected right back up with the correct authentication. I had joined and rejoined the network so many times from the client but it was always stuck here on the controller.... Weird.

Thanks!

• 5.  RE: No Internet - Aruba DNS or Something Else...?

Posted Feb 05, 2014 09:07 AM

Hi folks... I know this is an older topic, but it's spot on for issues we are having here.

@83rw wrote:

Checking the client on the controller was a great idea. Once I found the client in the list I noticed it's authentication role was set to AP-Role instead of saying Authenticated like all of the other clients. I disconnected it through the controller and it connected right back up with the correct authentication. I had joined and rejoined the network so many times from the client but it was always stuck here on the controller.... Weird.

Thanks!

It happens mostly with newer apple devices (iOS 6+, OSX 10.6.8+) and win 7+8 laptops.

We have an Aruba 650 with 16 AP-105's

Running external DHCP so we can do static assignments for out fleet of chromebooks.

The best I can tell is that the the client goes to sleep, and at some point goes home with the user or otherwise wanders out of range. When the device comes back (usually the next day) they connect, and get an address, but then get what we lovingly call "the exclaimation point of pain" (no internet). In the case of mobile devices, everything looks fine, but all internet requests time out.

If I go into monitoring>Controller>clients, the device does not appear at all.

If I go into monitoring>Network>ALL WLAN clients, the device appears at it's current IP address with an authentication role of ap-role.

If I click on the MAC address link for the affected client from there, it lists the client twice, one entry for the old IP address, and one for the new. Both show authentication role as ap-role. Hitting disconnect for either of the listed clients does nothing.

The only way I've found to get the client back on the network is to blacklist both ap-role entries, and then go to monitoring>Controller>blacklist clients and release the client.

This happens a couple times a week and is really not convenient to go through this process every time...

My predecessor worked with Aruba and others on this issue for a long time, but it was never resolved...

any help would be greatly appreciated.