Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Numbers not matching

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Numbers not matching

Posted Mar 22, 2012 03:55 PM

I notice a difference in the numbers of users between these two commands

When "show ap association ap-name 128.9.6" is entered it returns "Num Clients:58

When "show user location 128.9.6" is entered it returns "User Entries: 9/9"

These numbers vary greatly for any ap I issue them on.

It looks like the user density numbers in the controller monitoring GUI  and Airwave are based on the association numbers.  I have surveyed and the "show user" command provides the accurate numbers.  The ap association numbers are apparently stale and some of the associations that show association times of hours to days have apparently long since gone away.  If i search for the user mac address it cannot be found anywhere except in the association table.  This skews our user numbers way out of proportion.  Is something wrong or am I simply looking at this wrong?

• 2.  RE: Numbers not matching

Posted Mar 22, 2012 04:40 PM

As per my understanding,

AP association may show you some clients which are just associated to the AP but did not pass authentication (for e.g. dot1x or PSK).

User-table will show you the clients once they pass L2 auth and received IP address. 

You should check for "show ap debug client-table ap-name <ap-name>" command, which should match User-table entries for that AP if I am not wrong.

• 3.  RE: Numbers not matching

Posted Mar 23, 2012 09:33 AM

I tried that and it does match the "show user location" command, but, the "show ap association ap-name" shows clients that have been associated for hours (and the association timers are incrementing) that are simply not out there.  It really looks like the association tables don't always update.

• 4.  RE: Numbers not matching

Posted Mar 27, 2012 11:28 AM

I am having a similar issue that from the sounds of it, is probably related, when i run the show ap association command it says i have 0 clients.  If i go into the web interface it says i have 4 clients on that AP.  Something is not adding up and i am trying to figure out why.

Edit: after posting this i tried running the ap debug client-table command as suggested in this thread.  it dies show the 4 connections to the AP.  what is the difference in these commands?  It looks like Airwave is using the ap associations command because it shows no users.  is this really accurate?

• 5.  RE: Numbers not matching

Posted Mar 27, 2012 01:33 PM

What ArubaOS version are you running?

Also, do you have dos-prevention enabled under your "virtual-ap" profile?

• 6.  RE: Numbers not matching

Posted Mar 27, 2012 02:51 PM

I am running 6.1.3.0.  i am curius if the original poster is running something similar.

i do not have DOS-prevention enabled.

• 7.  RE: Numbers not matching

Posted Mar 27, 2012 02:55 PM

@mwallen wrote:

I am running 6.1.3.0.  i am curius if the original poster is running something similar.

i do not have DOS-prevention enabled.

Please open a TAC case for this issue. 

Thanks,

--

HT

• 8.  RE: Numbers not matching

Posted Mar 28, 2012 08:59 AM

We are on 6.1.2.2,

• 9.  RE: Numbers not matching

Posted Mar 29, 2012 12:04 AM

Any progress with the same issue? We are using 6.1.2.4 on our cotrollers.

• 10.  RE: Numbers not matching

Posted Mar 29, 2012 12:08 AM

Can anyone of you please open the TAC ticket for faster resolution and provide the ticket number here?

Debugging the issue on this forum may not be possible and take longer time. Once we figure out the issue, we can put solution on this thread too...

• 11.  RE: Numbers not matching

Posted Mar 29, 2012 02:12 PM

i have opened a case and am working with Aruba.  If i get any information i will post it.

• 12.  RE: Numbers not matching

Posted Apr 02, 2012 10:28 AM

I am opening a ticket today!

• 13.  RE: Numbers not matching

Posted Apr 03, 2012 09:15 PM

Well, when we disabled "DoS Prevention" in Virtual AP profiles, the numbers start to match ;-)

We definetely can observe, now, that the number of associated clients per an access point is not accummulating.

Both commands: #show ap association ap-name <AP_NAME> and #show user location <AP_NAME> show matching numbers.

Our software version: AOS-W 6.1.2.4, Build number:30768

In  ArubaOS 6.1 UG, there is definition of how "DoS Prevention" works:

"If enabled, APs ignore deauthentication frames from clients. This prevents a successful
    deauthorization attack from being carried out against the AP. This does not affect thirdparty
    APs. Default: Disabled"

So, question now: is it the bug in 6.1.x.x ? We wish this feature will be enabled, coz our WIP on our controlles detects a number of

"Block ACK DoS Attacks" and "Power Save DoS Attacks".

• 14.  RE: Numbers not matching

Posted May 05, 2012 12:03 AM

@malik wrote:

Well, when we disabled "DoS Prevention" in Virtual AP profiles, the numbers start to match ;-)

We definetely can observe, now, that the number of associated clients per an access point is not accummulating.

Both commands: #show ap association ap-name <AP_NAME> and #show user location <AP_NAME> show matching numbers.

Our software version: AOS-W 6.1.2.4, Build number:30768

In  ArubaOS 6.1 UG, there is definition of how "DoS Prevention" works:

"If enabled, APs ignore deauthentication frames from clients. This prevents a successful
    deauthorization attack from being carried out against the AP. This does not affect thirdparty
    APs. Default: Disabled"

So, question now: is it the bug in 6.1.x.x ? We wish this feature will be enabled, coz our WIP on our controlles detects a number of

"Block ACK DoS Attacks" and "Power Save DoS Attacks".

Any update on this after changing the IDS profile setting?