Wireless Access

MVP

Occasional wifi blips for most clients

I've been receiving complaints that laptops are losing wifi connectivity briefly.  It lasts about 10 seconds and the user is usually aware of the issue because Outlook will disconnect from Exchange and they'll be logged out of our internal messaging client.   I don't see anything logged on the client side and Airwaves isn't showing anything of concern.  Sometimes I see a client associate with different APs throughout the day in the same area, and for whatever reason they're switching bands each time.  I'm not sure if this is causing the loss of connectivity or if it's something else.  I've tried upgrading wireless drivers and for some this seems to help, but I'm not convinced there isn't something on the Aruba side that needs to be tweaked.  Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this issues?

=======================================
If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
Guru Elite

Re: Occasional wifi blips for most clients

1.  What version of arubaOS?

2.  What clients are these?

3.  Do clients share a layer2 network with wired clients?

4.  How many clients on the WLAN?

5.  Are you using Broadcast Filter all, to filter downstream broadcasts?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

MVP

1. We're on 5 code, and are upgrading to the latest 6 code very soon.
  2. Mixture of Dell laptops.
  3. Wireless clients are segmented from wired clients.
  4. 350 - 400 in a single L2 domain
  5. No.  I'm not very familar with the feature so I've been afraid to enable it.  I don't know what sort of impact this would have on client connectivity.
If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
Guru Elite

Broadcast filtering at the Virtual AP level stops broadcasts and improves performance.

Anything that depends on multicast, will not work when you enable this.  Fortunately if you have active directory, nothing relies on multicast.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

MVP

Won't disabling broadcasts affect connectivity to other clients in the same broadcast domain?

Guru Elite

No.  Clients usually find each other via unicast.

Colin Joseph

MVP

I think I will start with enabling convert broadcasts to unicasts.  However, we still use netbios to some extent, and I need to know how enabling this setting will affect netbios traffic.  Again, I don't want to drop all BCMC traffic, I just want to convert broadcasts to unicast for now.

Guru Elite

What do you use netbios for?  Most users enable "Brodcast Filter All" and "Broadcast Filter ARP" and enjoy better performance and very few drawbacks.

Colin Joseph

MVP

I'm not entirely sure.  I've been informed by a few different groups that netbios is still in use.  I'll have to get some more information from the other departments before knowing if I can turn this feature on without any disruption.

MVP

Any thoughts on why clients would roam to different APs during the day and switch bands? As a bandaid, I've had to ask clients to disconnect their wifi and re-enable, as they tend to reconnect at 5GHz instead of the 2.4GHz that they were on.  (We have band steering enabled, with 5GHz being the preference.)

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: