Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

One SSID for multiple authentication types

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  One SSID for multiple authentication types

Posted Nov 06, 2015 12:59 AM

Afternoon,

I am curious if the following is possible... I want to reduce my network from having 3 SSID (Open, Radius, Certificate) to just 1. Below is my current setup.

SSID: Onboarding (Open)

Purpose: Users can connect to Onboarding and they are re-directed to our Onboarding solution which provides them with a certificate based connection.

SSID: Domain (Domain based Auth with Clearpass/Windows Radius)

Purpose: Company own machines are connected to the wireless via domain based authenication.

SSID: Student (Certificated based Auth, CloudPath)

Purpose: Devices which have done through the onboarding procedure.

I would love to reduce these down to just 1 SSID which does eerything... does anyone know if that is possible? 

• 2.  RE: One SSID for multiple authentication types
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 06, 2015 04:10 AM

You can probably reduce it to two.  An SSID can be shared by devices that have the same encryption.  You can have and (1) Open SSID and a (2) WPA2-AES SSID with PEAP and EAP-TLS.  For the 2nd SSID, you can configure ClearPass to use multiple authentication types and then sort it out with rules:

types.png

That is in general.  The specifics of what you are trying to do will require some logic in terms of Roles in ClearPass and Enforcement Policies/Profiles.

• 3.  RE: One SSID for multiple authentication types

Posted May 17, 2018 11:35 AM

I have a similar situation, wanting to reduce the number of SSIDs on campus.  Currently, we have a wpa2-aes SSID.  Could I add wpa2-psk-aes encryption to that SSID for student registered devices (xbox, playstation, tv, etc...), then sort out authentication with Clearpass rules/services as mentioned above?  I'm exploring this right now, but if it is too complicated to sort out the authentication I'll simply bring up another SSID.

Thanks,

Jeremy

• 4.  RE: One SSID for multiple authentication types

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 17, 2018 12:00 PM

No.

You can only configure one encryption type per SSID.

Back in the day you could mix ciphers like this:

wpa2-psk-tkip

wpa2-psk-aes

But you cannot mix encryption types like this:

wpa2-aes

wpa2-psk-aes

• 5.  RE: One SSID for multiple authentication types

Posted May 17, 2018 12:15 PM

Bah :)

Thank you