Wireless Access

last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

One SSID is not working

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  One SSID is not working

Posted Dec 26, 2012 03:54 AM

Hi!

I hope somebody can explain me an easy doubt I have.

My company has installed an Aruba Mobility Controller and we have to provisioning some APs 93 and 105. Well, my problem comes because we have two vlans for two diferents SSIDs. One of this is working good but the other one doesnt give me DHCP which I am sure is working. 

I just want to know how must being the TAGs for the VLANs in the switch where the access point is plugged. The switch is HP.

Thank you.

• 2.  RE: One SSID is not working

Posted Dec 26, 2012 06:46 AM

it depends on the exact setup, but usually the aruba way to set something like this up is that your access points can be in any vlan which is able to reach to controller. you could make a special AP vlan / subnet, but they can also be in any directly connected or routed subnet. 

the APs will build a tunnel to the controller from where ever they are located. all the vlans you want your clients to end up in should be configured on the controller and on the trunk between controller and switch, or on the different access ports you want to use.

to help you further you should provide some more information on the deployment and the settings used. what vlans, subnets configured on the controller, which devices does dhcp, which ap mode used: tunnel / bridged / ...

• 3.  RE: One SSID is not working

Posted Dec 26, 2012 07:41 AM

Ok, you are right I didnt give you all the information about our configuration.

All VLANs are configured on the controller and it is reachable from the switch where are plugged the access points, in fact, if I plug my computer trouhg cable in each vlan all of them works correctly. The DHCP server of the VLAN which is working is the Aruba Controller but the other DHCP server (which is not working) is other device, the gateway for that vlan.

We tried to configure the access point in tunnel mode marking which vlan id is correct for each SSID:

Configuration -> AP Group -> Edit default -> Wireless LAN -> Virtual AP -> MySSID1_prof -> VLAN 100 Forward mode tunnel

Configuration -> AP Group -> Edit default -> Wireless LAN -> Virtual AP -> MySSID2_prof -> VLAN 5 Forward mode tunnel

For this config, what must be the tags for the vlans? Now we have vlan 5 untagged because it is the vlan for management and vlan 100 tagged. I have not knowledge about aruba networks but I think the problem can be here.

Thanks so much.

• 4.  RE: One SSID is not working

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 26, 2012 10:28 AM

Do you have any of the VLANs assigned to a port on the Aruba Controller?

config t

interface gigabitethernet0/1

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 5

That config above will put VLAN 5 traffic on gigabitethernet0/1 on the controller.  If you want to put it on a trunk:

config t

interface gigabitethernet0/1

swichport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan all

switchport trunk native vlan 5

That config above will make gigabitethernet0/1 on the Aruba controller a trunk, with vlan 5 untagged and all the other VLANs tagged.

• 5.  RE: One SSID is not working

Posted Dec 26, 2012 08:56 PM

Who is routing those vlans?

It is a layer 3 switch or is it the controller?

If it a layer 3 switch you must do what Collin said... you need to trunk those vlans to the switch and also you need to trunk back from the switch to the controller those vlans...

If the controller is the one routing it  are you natting ?

We need more info so we can help you :)

• 6.  RE: One SSID is not working

Posted Dec 28, 2012 04:24 AM

There is not a layer 3 switch in this network, just the gateways so is the controller who must route the vlans.

We have config one port for each vlan all of them in access mode, maybe it is better to configure just one port for trunking all vlans by it?

I am not sure what you mean when ask me if we are natting. Nat is done by the operators routers so I think we have not any nat in our private network. Vlans should not to comunicate between them.

Thank you.

• 7.  RE: One SSID is not working

Posted Dec 28, 2012 04:57 AM
    okay lets review the config.
    1-You have 2 vlans
    2-Each vlan is configured in access mode
    3-The controller is the one routing those vlans
    4-The default route of that co trolller is the operator router?

So your problem is that one vlan is not working because the users are not getting ips?

question
    who is the dhcp server?
    is the co troller for both vlans?

• 8.  RE: One SSID is not working

Posted Dec 28, 2012 05:11 AM

All correct, 2 vlans, 2 ports in acces mode, the controller is the one who can routing the vlans and the default route for the controller is the operator router.

The problem is that one vlan doesnt serve dhcp through radio, through cable is working good.

The dhcp server for the vlan which is working is the controller and the dhcp server for the vlan which is not working is the operator´s router.

• 9.  RE: One SSID is not working

Posted Dec 28, 2012 05:17 AM

Okay

You need an ip helper(DHCP Helper Addresses) on the controller pointing that operator router on that ip interface.  in this case use the ip of that router and put that value on the ip interface of that vlan that is not working   in the DHCP Helper Addresses box

• 10.  RE: One SSID is not working

Posted Dec 28, 2012 05:30 AM

I will try and tell you if it is the solution.

Thank you so much.

Merry christmas!

• 11.  RE: One SSID is not working

Posted Dec 28, 2012 05:39 AM

Okay tellus if that worked but it would be good also that you can tell us with a diagram how is connected everything(if your company policy permit you to share that to us) because your deployment looks a bit odd...

It is not recommened to run a DHCP server on a router... neither on the controller(exept if the dhcp server on the controller is for the Guest vlan)

Normally you would have a DHCP server maybe a windows one...  as you are taking router resourses for this task that he should not be using...

Also you could use one cable and a trunk between the controller and the switch...

IF your HP is a layer 3 switch you could have that one routing... and for the vlans if you dnot want the user cannot go to the other vlan you could use the pef license and use the controller firewall...

Now one of the SSID  is a guest SSID? becasue then its recommened that you nat on the controller so that vlan is not routable inside your network...

I would give more specific things if i knew with a diagram or you could explain your deployment

You can always read also the VRD which tell you the best practice... its avaiable on arubanetworks home page.

Cheers

Carlos