Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Only seeing ~100mbit, when linked at 300mbit

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Only seeing ~100mbit, when linked at 300mbit

Posted Jul 25, 2017 04:52 AM

I have a mobility controller 3200 and four AP125s. 

For some reason, I can't seem to get above about 12.5 megs a second when transferring large files to and from the wired network. 

The controller says I'm linked at 300mbit, with a 94% signal quality, I'm the only person on the network, and all of the tinkering in the rf section of the config seems to hurt the performance. In other environments I've seen this exact same physical gear yield 25+ megs a second. 

I'm fresh out of ideas - is there a way to get the gear to transmit at more than 100mbit speeds, when it's clearly linked at 300mbit?

• 2.  RE: Only seeing ~100mbit, when linked at 300mbit

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 25, 2017 07:12 AM

Wifi is half duplex, so you should not be able to get more than half the link speed.  The link speed indicates negotiation, not throughput.

What are you using to test the speed?  Some protocols are more efficient than others.

Do you have "broadcast filter all" on your SSID?

• 3.  RE: Only seeing ~100mbit, when linked at 300mbit

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 25, 2017 08:44 AM

You cannot use file transfers as a measure of wifi speed/throughput, the protocol used, the endpoints of the transfer, etc all come in to play and usually are much slower than the phy rate itself. You need to use something like iPerf, use TCP, 8 streams, set window size anywhere between 512k and 2M, etc. There's lots of guidance out there as to what, but those generally will get you ballpark actual throughput available. Also make sure on your client and server doing the testing that NO OTHER APPLICATIONS ARE RUNNING! If the server or client decides to kick off a software update, check email, etc it will significantly skew the results.

• 4.  RE: Only seeing ~100mbit, when linked at 300mbit

Posted Jul 25, 2017 02:02 PM

Yes, broadcast-filter all is enabled. 

There is nothing else running. I'm the only person on the network when testing. To test I am attempting to copy a large file over SMB. The entire wired network behind the wireless infrastructure is gigabit. Wired in I get full gig speeds doing the same file copy (nearly a full order of magnitude faster)

In different environments I've seen the same equipment send ~25 megs a second to a workstation, so I know it's possible to get faster speeds, I'm just not familiar enough with the configuration to enable that.

Iperf gives me the same results as copying a large file via SMB. The peak rate i've seen is 12.4 megs a second. It seems that I can double my transfer rate somehow, but I'm just not sure how.

• 5.  RE: Only seeing ~100mbit, when linked at 300mbit

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 25, 2017 02:19 PM

Did you increase the iperf window size beyond the defaults (to 512k)?

• 6.  RE: Only seeing ~100mbit, when linked at 300mbit

Posted Jul 25, 2017 02:43 PM

I perf gives me basically the same result (a little slower, actually), even with increased window size.

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 11.41.37 AM.png

• 7.  RE: Only seeing ~100mbit, when linked at 300mbit

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 25, 2017 03:31 PM
    Is everything on the link connected at Gigabit speeds?

• 8.  RE: Only seeing ~100mbit, when linked at 300mbit

Posted Jul 25, 2017 03:36 PM

Yes

• 9.  RE: Only seeing ~100mbit, when linked at 300mbit

Posted Aug 01, 2017 07:07 PM

bump?

• 10.  RE: Only seeing ~100mbit, when linked at 300mbit

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 02, 2017 04:55 AM
    You should open a tac case so that they can dig into your issue further.

• 11.  RE: Only seeing ~100mbit, when linked at 300mbit

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 25, 2017 02:19 PM

Did you increase the iperf window size beyond the defaults (to 512k)?