Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Optimisations for iOS devices?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Optimisations for iOS devices?

Posted Jul 27, 2016 05:02 AM

We have frequent issues with these wonderufl things, frequent disconnects, poor performance etc.. more so than with laptops and androids, and wondered if there are any opimisations that can be made to improve things?

I was looking into some issues we are having, and stumbled on this post, which seemed to match the issues we are having

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/Block-Ack-Attack-the-cause-of-wifi-outage/td-p/48270

Ive looked at one AP in a problematic area and IDS shows this

aruba.JPG

This post is a few years old, so just wondered if these fixes still apllied or whether new features had been inttoduced to improve connectivity for these sorts of devices and issues.

We have already enable 802.11k.

We are running v6.3 (cant upgrade to 6.4 yet due to legacy APs).

Cheers

• 2.  RE: Optimisations for iOS devices?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 27, 2016 09:07 AM

Have you tried the RF optimization solution found on ASE.arubanetworks.com? I would suggest using that as a good foundational and baseline config based on your deployment parameters you enter there. 

• 3.  RE: Optimisations for iOS devices?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 27, 2016 10:12 AM

@$k3l3t0r wrote:

We have frequent issues with these wonderufl things, frequent disconnects, poor performance etc.. more so than with laptops and androids, and wondered if there are any opimisations that can be made to improve things?

I was looking into some issues we are having, and stumbled on this post, which seemed to match the issues we are having

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/Block-Ack-Attack-the-cause-of-wifi-outage/td-p/48270

aruba.JPG

This post is a few years old, so just wondered if these fixes still apllied or whether new features had been inttoduced to improve connectivity for these sorts of devices and issues.

Cheers

Block attack and Power Save DOS attack have a good amount of false positives that could trigger them and should be looked at last, when everything else is fine.

- What does your Channel Utilization look like?  On the Dashboard, most of the channel utilization for your access points should be 50% or less sustained.  If you have access points on the 5ghz where the channel utilization is over 50%, you should consider reducing the max transmit power on the 5ghz or moving to 20mhz channels in general.

- I think the ASE solution is good, but you need to first find out where you are by looking at channel utilization and comparing that to after you make the changes.  Even after that, there are some adjustments that you might have to make.

• 4.  RE: Optimisations for iOS devices?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 27, 2016 10:15 AM

@$k3l3t0r wrote:

aruba.JPG

Cheers

Block attack and Power Save DOS attack have a good amount of false positives that could trigger them and should be looked at last, when everything else is fine.

- What does your Channel Utilization look like?  On the Dashboard, most of the channel utilization for your access points should be 50% or less sustained.  If you have access points on the 5ghz where the channel utilization is over 50%, you should consider reducing the max transmit power on the 5ghz or moving to 20mhz channels in general.

- I think the ASE solution is good, but you need to first find out where you are by looking at channel utilization and comparing that to after you make the changes.  Even after that, there are some adjustments that you might have to make.

• 5.  RE: Optimisations for iOS devices?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 27, 2016 10:22 AM

Please PM me your email address and I will send you a link so I can take a look at your logs.tar

• 6.  RE: Optimisations for iOS devices?

Posted Jul 27, 2016 10:41 AM
    Thanks cjoseph, Ill do this on Monday, as im on leave for a couple of days.. burnt out after upgrade works!

********************************************************************************************************************

Disclaimer
    This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
    Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Trust unless explicitly stated otherwise.
    If you have received this e-mail in error please delete it and contact the University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust Helpdesk on:- 023 8120 6000
    The information contained in this e-mail may be subject to public disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
    Unless the Information is legally exempt from disclosure, the confidentiality of this e-mail and your reply cannot be guaranteed.
    This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked for computer viruses.
    Please visit our website at http://www.uhs.nhs.uk

Think of the environment. Please avoid printing this e-mail unnecessarily.