Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Option for Wireless for coverage(for low budged clients)

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Option for Wireless for coverage(for low budged clients)

Posted Jun 02, 2013 10:12 PM

Hello everyone

how would you consider these types of APS for not capacity and more for coverage... for like companies in which the wireless is more like an extra and for more that you tell them how good is it, they just dont care but they still want wireless for a few people like managers and a few others...

I have encounter companies like this and they see APS really expensives...

I have though in a few options which i would like to share and also well to see you all what you think of it...

-RAP3 on instant mode cluster

-AP68 with controller ( if they need a few RAPS for terminations on the AP if not obiusly ill go with instants)

Cheper for Capacity situation

RAP109 on instant mode.

Any comments about this? have anyone deploy something like this? for this kind of situations? do you guys think its worth it?

All comments are welcome :)

Cheers

Carlos

• 2.  RE: Option for Wireless for coverage(for low budged clients)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 03, 2013 12:26 AM

Nightshade1,

Wireless ALREADY costs less than a solution that would require you to wire every device that you connect.  When people realize that there is a reliable wireless network, MORE, not less people end up using it, so if you deploy only for today, you will not be ready for tomorrow.

That is my 2 cents.

Do not deploy with the AP68 or RAPs, because they were not intended for your use case.  An IAP-93 is too expensive?

• 3.  RE: Option for Wireless for coverage(for low budged clients)

Posted Jun 03, 2013 09:58 AM

Hello Colllin Thanks for your asnwers and your opion as well.

I just would like your comment after my comment :)

in your first comment you are talking for a new installation where they got not wired...  We already got custumers like this and we already rightsized them so so far soo good.

But for the clients that already got all these(or simply they DONT want do build eveyrthing with wireless because they dont trust it because they think its urelable and no matter what you tell them they are afraid of it)  thats another kind of client.

Now also think you are not in the USA, it just not the same.  Companies here do not have a bunch of money like companies in the US. thats another think

And yes IAP93 sometimes its too expensive if you see the big picture of a project.

For example

there is an hotel which is requiring APs with ports in every room/(they already got a solution like this with HP on another Hotel)

They are opeining a new one.   And we want to kick HP from there.

The solution of them its with an AP HP MSM317( i know its b/g old technology, i know it just got an uplink of 100Mb.. i know all that) i already explained the clients all the downsides of that but he doens tseems to care because of hte price) and like him there are many hotels in the same situation  and HP is getting all of them!

Now how we can compete with that? for exmaple a 200 room deployment  cost them 100k with swithces and all.(all rooms got one of those small APS)

Now if i go with AP 93 which got the ports he is requiring it cost  156k without switches, without clearpass without airwaves.

Then i though why not putting RAP3 in everyroom(there will be just one or 2 users connected to it)

The idea comes putting 1 rap3 in everyroom, doing many clusters  and layer 3 ip mobility + airwaves + clearpass.,  that solution cost 120k which is 30k LESS than the other one that does not have clearpass neither airwaves.   I need to put the swithces but with the discounts i guess it wount be that far from the HP one... buti can truly tell them why my solution is much better than theirs  ever if its a bit more expensive... also you do not requiere POE swithces in this case, and you can give poe to the IPPHONE in the bedroom

Now you see how differents its on price and in solution one from another?

RAP3 + airwaves + clearpass = 118k

AP93H + Controller = 156k

Thats 38K of differnce

I cannot use AP 93 because he wants his ports on the room and i know he would be able to have everything through wireless, an di already told him that but he just doesnt want it... already told him how reliable it is etc etc...

And like him there is soo many like this... im trying to chnage that way of thinkin in my country which  is a bit hard... i mean people inthe US is starting  to change their thinking... and here they are not even starting just a few...

Another think

IF you do not recommend ap 68 in any situation why is in there price list? :) hehe

Anyways i know they are not designed for that im just trying to compete with out biggest competitior here which is HP...  Cisco??? really that does not bother me at alll we almost always win agains them but agains HP ha! thats another history... people put more the budget more than the features or thinks that can do better... sadly..

Comments? or any way to treat these kind of clients Collin! beacsue yeah i wouldnt like to put  something that you do not recommend as like i toldyou before i really value your opinion  A LOT.

Cheers

Carlos

• 4.  RE: Option for Wireless for coverage(for low budged clients)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 03, 2013 10:16 AM
    Carlos,

The detail is what is most important here. You should work with your local Aruba SE on the detail of this deal because they will know the prospect and give you the best advice.

With regards to the AP68 it is a single stream access point and I am only advising you to use it if you know for a fact that wireless use will not grow. With that being said, I do not know your prospect, so recommending against the AP68 might be wrong...

• 5.  RE: Option for Wireless for coverage(for low budged clients)

Posted Jun 03, 2013 01:46 PM

Good to know about when i should use the AP68 and i have been in a few clients with that exact scenario...

okay i will consult with my SE  but i still want your opinion after having all the info... what other info you need

I got another question but ill open another topic for that.

Cheers
    Carlos