Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Outdoor AP via coax POE

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Outdoor AP via coax POE

Posted May 15, 2018 11:48 AM

Howdy all,

I am currently considering an outdoor only implementation using a potential mix of AP-360, 370 and 270.

I have a vendor claiming they have a coax product they've used that would make this installation much easier.  No product link yet to share.  But, obviously, it needs to be able to support 1Gbs and POE+ at our required distances.

Essentially, it pulls the power and data from the existing POE+ switch and transmits over coax.  The plan is to use either RG-6 (minimum) or RG-11.  Most runs will be between 500-800ft.

On paper it looks like a great plan.  But... has anyone here tried POE over coax successfully on any scale with this type of outdoor AP?  What bad scenario with this setup should I consider?   Thanks all.

• 2.  RE: Outdoor AP via coax POE

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 07, 2018 03:48 AM

Without the company it's hard to know if it's reliable or accurate or not. If it can do 802.3at with 1G you should be fine. I've never seen one though.