Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Outdoor Antenna Types

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Outdoor Antenna Types

Posted May 21, 2014 04:54 AM

hello all,
    I want to cover with  WIFI an outdoor space with  MSR-2000 and 4000,
    I have set my AP’s on a  30 m tower
    so I have two questions
    1.  will Omni-directional antenna be sufficient to provide coverage
    2. If this is not the case what type of antenna you my advice

• 2.  RE: Outdoor Antenna Types

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 21, 2014 04:50 PM

This really depends on the deployment, access requirements, and outdoor space. 

Please see here for antenna choices:

http://www.arubanetworks.com/products/access-points/indoor-and-outdoor-antennas/

• 3.  RE: Outdoor Antenna Types
    Best Answer

Posted May 23, 2014 12:10 AM
    Though I can't definitively say what you should do here are a couple suggestions. When on top of a fairly decent sized tower understanding antenna patterns is very important. Standard dipole antennas have a pancake like propagation that can sometimes be less than ideal for tall structures. In situations like this a wide sector antenna like the ANT-2X2-D805 can be a good start. It has 120 degrees of horizontal coverage which is fairly wide. If doing Mesh then a good backhaul antenna to start on is usually a ANT-2X2-5614U. This has a narrow 55 degree horizontal beam width and a 13 degree vertical beam width which allows for high gain and a strong link in the 5.5-5.9 Ghz band. I hope some of this will be of some help. There's no universal answer and in the end you'll have to judge the situation by its environment but I feel those are some good places to start.