Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Outdoor wireless coverage

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Outdoor wireless coverage

Posted Sep 03, 2015 03:51 PM

Hello, I'm trying to plan a wireless project for outdoors. However I am considering using 802.11ac access points but want to check the range that they will cover but I cannot find anything on the internet that can give me a definitive answer. I am also struggling to find a definitive answer for 802.11n outdoor coverage as well. I am assuming because 802.11ac is only 5Ghz its going to be at 5Ghz distance for the area it will cover? Also how would band steering work for outdoors say if I was out of the range of 802.11ac but in range for the 2.4Ghz 802.11n, would it try and steer me to the ac network that I don't have coverage for but fail me to connect as im out of range? Thanks

• 2.  RE: Outdoor wireless coverage

Posted Sep 03, 2015 06:47 PM

There's a prior thread on the AP-275 showing the antenna coverage pattern here:

That may help, although it's a little hard to read in the post.

We use them in our warehouse yards and I have to turn them down to reduce overlap ;)

• 3.  RE: Outdoor wireless coverage

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 04, 2015 02:21 PM

Functional range from a 275 outdoors on 5Ghz is approx 200-300m for phones and tablets, and 300-400m for laptops. All clear line of sight, max AP power, etc.

Note that 11ac also works for 2.4Ghz, it's just recommended to use 20Mhz channels only on 2.4GHz.