Wireless Access

New Contributor

Outdoor wireless coverage

Hello, I'm trying to plan a wireless project for outdoors. However I am considering using 802.11ac access points but want to check the range that they will cover but I cannot find anything on the internet that can give me a definitive answer. I am also struggling to find a definitive answer for 802.11n outdoor coverage as well. I am assuming because 802.11ac is only 5Ghz its going to be at 5Ghz distance for the area it will cover? Also how would band steering work for outdoors say if I was out of the range of 802.11ac but in range for the 2.4Ghz 802.11n, would it try and steer me to the ac network that I don't have coverage for but fail me to connect as im out of range? Thanks

MVP

Re: Outdoor wireless coverage

There's a prior thread on the AP-275 showing the antenna coverage pattern here:

That may help, although it's a little hard to read in the post.

We use them in our warehouse yards and I have to turn them down to reduce overlap ;)

--Matthew

if I've helped, please give kudos
if I've provided a solution, please mark the solution so others can find it

Re: Outdoor wireless coverage

Functional range from a 275 outdoors on 5Ghz is approx 200-300m for phones and tablets, and 300-400m for laptops. All clear line of sight, max AP power, etc.

Note that 11ac also works for 2.4Ghz, it's just recommended to use 20Mhz channels only on 2.4GHz.

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Technical Marketing Engineer
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: