Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor II

PPTP

Hello

I have a customer having Aruba installed and is partly using the system. Running latest release (6.1.3.4).

Some of the external consultants use PPTP thru the Aruba to reach internal resources.

Also some of the customers employees also use PPTP.

We are experiencing that only ONE connection is possible at one give time from same remote IP. So if 2 consultants from 1 company try PPTP, only the first is able to connect.

Is this a limitation in the PPTP protocol or what?

Roar

Guru Elite

Re: PPTP

[ Edited ]

It is more a limitation of the firewall at the originating site.  Some firewalls cannot pass more than one pptp connection at a time.

Find out what firewall is in place and if it can pass multiple pptp connections.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor II

I'm sure that the firewall can pass several connections, but we don't get more than one from each IP.

I will check the customers firewall

Roar

Guru Elite

I want to say, try to use ipsec, instead.  It has much better support and easy to enable on the controller.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor II

PPTP is using GRE (Protocol 47) as the transport, and unlike TCP/UDP which has port number to identify the type of services, GRE do not.  Thus, The outgoing firewall or NAT routers need to have a way to uniquely differentiate the GRE traffics from two different PPTP station. I guess your NAT device do not support that.

Frequent Contributor II

Hi

Well, I'm sure if you guys have understood me correctly. The Aruba and the firewall/NAT device is serving several PPTP (GRE) connections as we speak. This clearly states that both the Aruba and firewall/NAT device can handle several PPTP connections at one given time.

The problem occurs when 2 persons from the same remote location, try the PPTP. They will normally connect showing the same public IP. In this case, the second PPTP from the same location is not working.

This might be a problem with the firewall on the remote location or the firewall/NAT in front of this Aruba.

My main concern was that this was a Aruba problem, but as I can see this is more a firewall/NAT device problem.

Will ask the firewall guys to have a look at the logs.

Roar

Frequent Contributor II

is your PPTP GRE Tunnel is configured as a NAT Inside interface in the outgoing firewall ?! :smileyfrustrated:

This article should explain it, in particular the PPTP data encapsulation section. Hope this helps.

MVP

I also suffring from the same issue 6.1.3.X.X ....

any soultion?

*****************2Plus Wireless Solutions****************************
Aruba Airheads - Powered By community for empower the community
************ Don't Forget to Kudos + me,If i helped you******************
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: