Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

PVST+ on Aos 6.1.2.7

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  PVST+ on Aos 6.1.2.7

Posted Feb 19, 2012 03:27 AM

Dear all ,

wat is the best pratice to configure  PVST+ on aruba  and  I belive its start supporting after  6.1,

When  we add Management valn in to the  Spanning tree its working fine , but wt about the user vlan that also need to be added to the spanning tree process ?  when  we add user vlan in to instance its creating loops , please advice .

Best Regards

Sans

• 2.  RE: PVST+ on Aos 6.1.2.7

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 19, 2012 08:10 AM

@sanskwt wrote:

Dear all ,

wat is the best pratice to configure  PVST+ on aruba  and  I belive its start supporting after  6.1,

When  we add Management valn in to the  Spanning tree its working fine , but wt about the user vlan that also need to be added to the spanning tree process ?  when  we add user vlan in to instance its creating loops , please advice .

Best Regards

Sans

Sanskwt,

Which version of code you are using?

Here is how you do it:

config t

spanning-tree mode rapid-pvst

spanning-tree vlan range 1-50 [All the VLANs that will be on that 802.1q trunk]

Have you configured it like this and it is not working?

• 3.  RE: PVST+ on Aos 6.1.2.7

Posted Feb 19, 2012 10:46 AM

Thanks collin,

I have configured the same , but today when we are doing the activity I found that even from one link connecte to  disctribution sitch when we enable spanntree the whole networks goes down ,

is there any chance for both the Controller and cisco Switch act root for the same  Vlan , my assemption is cisco switch is considering Controller as root and Aruba Controller looks cisco as root , ,,,,,,,,,,,,,when we diable spanntree from our controller everything goes normal ,,,,,,

Dont have full access to customer network and topology , is there anything we can check from our controller to make sure our side working properly ,

Regards

Sans

• 4.  RE: PVST+ on Aos 6.1.2.7

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 19, 2012 10:52 AM

The big question, is are there any logs on the Cisco side to say that the port is disabled for any reason.

On the Aruba side, you can use:

show spantree

show spanning-tree vlan x

show log network 50

Those will show you how it is functioning, but that is only half the picture.

The second half is the Cisco side, of course.  Disabling Spanning tree on the Aruba side and letting Cisco manage spanning tree, as usual is an option, but if you want to troubleshoot, we need logs from the Cisco side, when these things happen.

• 5.  RE: PVST+ on Aos 6.1.2.7

Posted Feb 19, 2012 11:25 AM

unfortunatly we dont have any logs from cisco side ,  what we have decided is to simulate the same setup and do the  test

I will let you knwo by tomorow ,

Thanks Collin ,

• 6.  RE: PVST+ on Aos 6.1.2.7

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 19, 2012 11:41 AM

Thank you.  

Let us know what you find.

• 7.  RE: PVST+ on Aos 6.1.2.7

Posted Feb 20, 2012 04:12 PM

dear Collin,

We have tested on a simulated lab with 3650  its works fine , hopfully we need to check more  in to Customer network ,

We  kept Priority to maximum on Aruba  , and "0" on Cisco to force Cisco as root then its work fine , but  when  we keep CIsco "0" and  aruba default then both seeing  as root  each other which creating problem ,

Thaks

sans

• 8.  RE: PVST+ on Aos 6.1.2.7

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 20, 2012 04:18 PM

@sanskwt wrote:

dear Collin,

We have tested on a simulated lab with 3650  its works fine , hopfully we need to check more  in to Customer network ,

We  kept Priority to maximum on Aruba  , and "0" on Cisco to force Cisco as root then its work fine , but  when  we keep CIsco "0" and  aruba default then both seeing  as root  each other which creating problem ,

Thaks

sans

Sanskwt,

Thanks for that feedback!

• 9.  RE: PVST+ on Aos 6.1.2.7

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 01, 2012 01:03 PM

Make sure that all your switches are Cisco. If not, running PVST+ may derive in having more than one switch acting as root bridge.

In any case, make sure you have good knownledge of your L2 topology. If that is not the case, I would advice you to use RSTP with a high priority (higher than 3278) in the controller

• 10.  RE: PVST+ on Aos 6.1.2.7

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 01, 2012 01:04 PM