Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor II

Packet loss on wifi

Anyone had experience with dense environments causing packet loss? The installation has been over specified and I am experiencing packet loss on ping from the station to an internal network resource. My workstation is connected to the same switch as the AP and experiences no packet loss. The route the AP takes to the controller to tunnel is actually shorter, but on the same path add my workstation. This less me to believe it is unlikely to be the supporting wired instructure. I plan on taking advantage of some of the automatic ARM signal strength adjustments, which do not appear to be in use at present. Anyone aware of recommendations or experience?
Guru Elite

Re: Packet loss on wifi

This will certainly happen in a wireless environment if there is too much contention.  Ethernet does not have hub-like contention like wireless does.  The best thing that you can do is drop broadcasts at the virtual AP level.  You can also try to turn on ARM mode-aware if you feel you have too many access points in the area to decrease interference.  Lastly, you could have external interference that could be causing the same issue.  It alll depends on the percentage of dropped packets.  If 1, 2 or 3 out of 100 packets is being dropped, that is not bad for wireless.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor II

Hi cj,

Apologies if I am being slow here but if i drop broadcasts at the virtual AP level wont that have a connectivtiy effect on the wireless stations?  Or is this common practive with aruba?  Sorry just never come across this before

thanks

Guru Elite

only if you have applications that depend on broadcastSTo function

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

I guess dhcp would still be permitted right? Or is the direction of the broadcast blocking from the wired network to the wireless?
Contributor I

Hi everyone, I have the same problem, this issue comes after i upgrade to 6.1.3.0 version, I have the next config, but i still have the same problem 

VAP---Drop Broadcast and Multicast

VAP---Convert Broadcast ARP requests to unicast

VAP---Band Steering -----prefer-5GHz

Mode Aware Arm

QoS ---- Traffic Managment profile----Mode Station Shaping Policy

Any other idea??

Guru Elite

Dhcp would be permitted... yes.

Colin Joseph

Guru Elite

You need to drop broadcasts in all virtual aps for maximum effect. You do not need mode aware arm

Colin Joseph

Frequent Contributor II

I only noticed this after we had consultants come I and installs the system and since I have started configuring dot 1x for internal access and noticed it was a bit Kathy, then I noticed the loss. Can I ask what was your previous known good working version? I am perfectly prepared downgrade the code to get a result.also I have a couple of 650a I can test this on
Frequent Contributor II

Sorry my predictive text is a bit wrong. I will certainly act on info from cj but can I ask what software you were using before your upgrade?
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: