Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Pass multicast from wired device to wireless device

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Pass multicast from wired device to wireless device

Posted Feb 09, 2016 07:06 PM

How do I configure the Aruba 7005 controller (v6.4.3.6) to pass multicast traffic from a wired device to a wireless device?

• 2.  RE: Pass multicast from wired device to wireless device

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 09, 2016 07:09 PM
    Can you be more specific? What multicast service are you trying to use?

• 3.  RE: Pass multicast from wired device to wireless device

Posted Feb 09, 2016 07:16 PM

Specifically, I have Chromecasts connected wirelessly (same vlan as PCs) with an allowall acl on their wireless role, but they apparently aren't getting the multicast packets with destination of 239.255.255.250 or 224.0.0.251 as I am not seeing a reply to DIAL or mDNS. Wireless clients are able to see the Chromecasts when airgroup is enabled, but that doesn't help on the wired side. I see the packets in tcpdump when mirroring traffic on the switch port with controller connected to it, so I know they are getting that far.  

• 4.  RE: Pass multicast from wired device to wireless device

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 09, 2016 07:32 PM

Is wired and wireless on the same VLAN?

Is there routing between the wired and wireless VLAN?

DIAL and MDNS only use multicast to discover the devices.  This only works on the same VLAN.  Airgroup gives the option of answering to devices on a different VLAN, with ip addresses of devices on a different VLAN, bridging this gap.  If they are on different VLANs, don't expect discovery to work without airgroup being enabled.

• 5.  RE: Pass multicast from wired device to wireless device
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 09, 2016 07:36 PM

As indicated, they are in the same vlan. No routing involved. Thanks for helping explain the airgroup more. 

While waiting for a reply, I did find that when I issued `no bcmc-optimization` in the vlan interface in question, suddenly I am flooding packets everywhere and I can see my Chromecasts. 

So the next question is going to be, is there a way to get these particular things to work without turning that off, or am I best to just get creative with some acls at this point to reduce flooding of multicast and broadcast everywhere?

• 6.  RE: Pass multicast from wired device to wireless device

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 09, 2016 08:13 PM

I can't see anywhere that you said it is in the same VLAN, but that makes it simpler.

bcmc optimization drops all multicast from the wired side, so that is your problem.  You didn't mention that you had that on or why you have it on....

• 7.  RE: Pass multicast from wired device to wireless device

Posted Feb 09, 2016 08:23 PM

I didn't mention the vlan thing until post 3. 

I assumed bcmc optimization was a default setting. Are you suggesting it won't help with wireless performance as much as one might expect?

• 8.  RE: Pass multicast from wired device to wireless device

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 10, 2016 03:00 AM

bcmc optimization is not the default.

If you have external wired devices that require broadcasts to work, you should not turn this on.

You should enable airgroup and "drop broadcast and unknown multicast" all Virtual AP profiles to accomplish the performance benefit.

Using bcmc optimization in every other circumstance, besides having visibility into devices that require broadcasts to operate on the wired network will work.

• 9.  RE: Pass multicast from wired device to wireless device

Posted Feb 10, 2016 02:25 PM

So airgroups apply to multicast received over the wire as well?

• 10.  RE: Pass multicast from wired device to wireless device

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 10, 2016 03:19 PM

If the controller sees an mdns or dlna device on the wired network, it will populate the table with those devices.