Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Per-user bandwidth limiting introduces latency? IAP-105

Hi all,

We have several buildings with between 10-40 Aruba IAP-105 access points, functioning in virtual-controller mode to provide wireless access.  Recently, due to some malware incidents overloading an access point, I have been experimenting with per-user bandwidth controls to limit how much traffic an individual can use.  I started out with what I thought was a very liberal setting of 1Mbps down and 768kbps up (consider that each building has a 100Mbps down/20Mbps up link to the Internet, in an educational environment).

After testing, the speed-tests come back and show that bandwidth limits are functional.  However, I'm getting complaints that seem to be latency-related.  Loading a streaming video on a popular website like YouTube might take 15-30 seconds before the video starts playing, and sites seem to be slow to load.  I have since gone to 1280kbps down/768kbps up, and I get bandwidth changes, but still hear about issues with latency.

I don't want to up the bandwidth-per-user on our Student SSID much, but I need to figure out if others have experienced this issue.  Have you found it is better to rate-limit your users in other ways?  I could examine doing it at our firewall, but my idea of doing it at the access point level was so that an access point wouldn't be overloaded by a few users hogging it or having an infected system.

Re: Per-user bandwidth limiting introduces latency? IAP-105

What code version are you running?

Seth R. Fiermonti
Consulting Systems Engineer - ACCX, ACDX, ACMX
Email: seth@hpe.com
-----
If you found my post helpful, please give kudos
Occasional Contributor II

When this started, I was on 6.2.xx, but I'm now on 6.3.1.2-4.0.0.4_42384.

New Contributor

Hi! I'm using only a few IAP-105s tied together by the virtual controller to provide corporate and guest WIFI access. I'm interested in limiting bandwidth but I must be missing something in the console because I'm not seeing if/how I can configure it.

Could you maybe point me in the right direction to locate the per-user controls you refer to in your post?

Many thanks!

New Contributor

Thanks boneyard! That worked perfectly. Now I can start starving the leaches!  =D

you are welcome, be sure to use the accept as solution button to flag this question as answered.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: