Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Permit Specific URL - Block Rest of Domain

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Permit Specific URL - Block Rest of Domain

Posted Jul 05, 2018 06:30 PM

I don't think this is possible, but figured double-check. For our IoT aruba role, we block access to all of our public websites (address space) as a method of discouraging students from registering their laptops, mac books, etc on the IoT network. This has worked well for 99% of the all devices, however, we've come across a streaming service that hosts a playlist file behind one of the pulic web servers - that Alexa needs access to. Is it possible to get more granular with the polices (url/dns level) to permit a specific URL - but block rest of the domain? Otherwise I'm envisioning only other way is a dedicated web server (single ip address) to host this one streaming file.

• 2.  RE: Permit Specific URL - Block Rest of Domain

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 05, 2018 06:35 PM

You cannot block a URL.  You can only block the domain.

• 3.  RE: Permit Specific URL - Block Rest of Domain
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 05, 2018 06:36 PM
    Unfortunately no. The easiest way to solve this is blocking access to your single sign on portal which will deter student use.

• 4.  RE: Permit Specific URL - Block Rest of Domain

Posted Jul 05, 2018 06:46 PM
    Thanks folks. :-) That's what I figured. It's actually meant for student use primarily. We primarily block email and learning websites (singled out) and have a blanket statement for anything else normally public. This coming year our clearpass admin will look into dropping them into limited roles with redirection - course that relies them on at least connecting to our secure network at least once and being profiled as a student 802.1x device.

#AirheadsMobile

• 5.  RE: Permit Specific URL - Block Rest of Domain

Posted Jul 05, 2018 06:47 PM
    Ah. Capalli, I immediately got what you meant by "single sign on" portal. Great idea!

#AirheadsMobile