Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Phy Type

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Phy Type

Posted May 07, 2013 01:47 PM

I can use some clarification on two things, please.  

I understand from at least one other post in this forum that 802.11aHT and 802.11gHT actually means 802.11n; so if a client is listed showing either of these Phy Types, they are actually 802.11n clients.  Please tell me if this is incorrect information.

What I don't see is an explanation for 802.11b-HT clients.  We have a guest SSID.  Most clients on that SSID are iPads, iPods, iPhones and Androids, and they are all shown to be Phy Types 802.11b-HT.  The guest vap is actually configured to allow band g only.  So I am doubly confused.

Thanks for any time anyone can take to respond.

• 2.  RE: Phy Type

Posted May 07, 2013 01:57 PM

Yes the 802.11g-HT / a-HT = 802.11n

You are still probably have enabled the protection mechanism to allow b clients and also you probably have enabled the HT nder the SSID where you can define the HT settings.

http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/technology/whitepapers/wp_Designed_Speed_802.11n.pdf 

Hope this helps

• 3.  RE: Phy Type

Posted May 08, 2013 08:35 AM

Thanks Victor.

I would still like to know the definition of 802.11b-HT.

• 4.  RE: Phy Type

Posted May 08, 2013 09:13 AM

802.11 b-ht is part of the 802.11n for 2.4 Ghz  but compare to g-ht the device will lower data rates .

What devices are you seeing behaving this way ? Are those configure to use bgn or gn ?

• 5.  RE: Phy Type

Posted May 08, 2013 09:43 AM

There are no specific problems that I am trying to resolve, I am only looking at optimizing performance.  This network has a 3200 controller running firmware 6.1.3.3, and managing 32 105 APs.  There are three SSID's, two internal, one guest.  There are typically 175-225 clients.  Clients are very late model devices, including iThings, Androids and Windows7 laptops.

Examining realtime statistics yesterday morning, there were 217 clients at that time, and all guest clients were b clients; most were b-HT.  These devices were iThings and Androids; no Windows devices.  There were also iThings on the other SSIDs, but they were a-HT or g-HT.

At the moment I am writing this which is about 24 hours later than yesterday when I was looking, there are 176 clients, all are g-HT, ecxcept for two g, and 9 a-HT clients.  There are no b or b-HT.  The guest_vap is set to allow band g only; this has not changed since yesterday.  The options on the 3200 controller are g, a or all.

Thanks.

• 6.  RE: Phy Type

Posted May 08, 2013 10:15 AM

This is a great document if you would like to optimize your 802.11n deployment :

http://www.arubanetworks.com/vrd/80211nNetworksVRD/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm

Hope that helps.

• 7.  RE: Phy Type

Posted May 08, 2013 10:26 AM

Thanks again Victor.  i have not come across this document before and will reference it.