Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Placement of licenses in central licensing

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Placement of licenses in central licensing

Posted Nov 25, 2013 02:39 AM

Hi!

I have a question regarding best practise for placement of licenses in a central licensing environment. We have a central master controller and terminating locals around geographically split locations.

Do I need any licenses on the master at all for configuration to work or could I just put each locations licenses in the primary local for that location? My thought is that in that way, in the unlikely event of the master being unreachable for 10 days the licenses will still be local to the site and network continue to operate.

Thanx,

• 2.  RE: Placement of licenses in central licensing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 25, 2013 05:45 AM

It is said that licences should be added to the licencing-master, however you might have a situation where that master is at the platform limit.

My thoughts are that you should add the licences to the local controller with which they are intended for.  They will then get added to pool accordingly........however that's just my opinion.

:smileyhappy:

• 3.  RE: Placement of licenses in central licensing

Posted Nov 25, 2013 06:27 AM

Ok, that's what I'm thinking! Do you know if I need to add 1 license of PEF to the master to get configuration parameters or will it pull it from locals and enable configuration of roles etc?

Chris

• 4.  RE: Placement of licenses in central licensing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 25, 2013 06:31 AM

That's a good question.  If this is already a live system, I would assume you would already have one on the master.

However if this is a fresh build, I would say though that you should have one licence on the master anyway, just in case you need to roll back to 6.2 or disable centralised licencing for whatever reason.

• 5.  RE: Placement of licenses in central licensing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 25, 2013 07:46 AM

I just tested this.  You can add a controller as a local with NO LICENSES.  Then, enable centralized licenses and you will see the PEFNG capabilities enabled.  Once you have this, you can flip the role to be a master and retain that information.  Since the centralized licenses are retained for 30 days on a master-local break, this gives you enough time to 

a - convert existing locals to new masterIP

b - remove old master

• 6.  RE: Placement of licenses in central licensing

Posted Nov 25, 2013 08:43 AM

@Michael_Clarke wrote:

It is said that licences should be added to the licencing-master, however you might have a situation where that master is at the platform limit.

In a centralized licensing model, you can exceed the platform limit with licenses on the master.   All other controllers will get the full list of available licenses, however they will not consume more than their platform limit.